Mike's Argus Challenge
- By: Mike Schlebach
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/mikes-argus-challenge
A child that has been living in a children's home or in a state care facility is forced to leave at the age 18. Many of these young people are not ready for this transition and without adequate support, after years of stability, they struggle to stay in school, attend skills training programmes and find meaningful work. Mamelani's programme ensures that they are supported through this transition and are able to remain focused, motivated and move forward in their lives.
This year I have decided to do my bit for South African youth and take on a challenge! I have become a Mamelani Mover and will be taking part in this years Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Challenge.
R4500 allows one young person to complete a paid internship, providing them with the opportunity to gain access to the world of work, technical experience and money management skills. Together the Mamelani Movers Argus team would like to secure enough funds to allow 5 youth to be a part of this process. So come on and back me on my adventure. Together we can make a difference!
About Mamelani Projects Proseed Youth Development Programme:
The programme consists of supporting young people in successfully transitioning out of state care at 18 years of age. Care leavers are said to be one of the most vulnerable groups in society, and without adequate support, after years of care and development, many face poor outcomes in adult life, including homelessness, unemployment and mental health challenges.
Mamelani has developed an approach to working with young people, a process to support them in preparing for and facing life beyond care. The programme runs over 3 years, providing support prior to the transition, as well as continued support after leaving the children's home.
- Mar 11, 2014 - R 500.00
- "peddling dreams" - Eco Exhibit/Rayne
- Mar 10, 2014 - R 200.00
- "Is there some torture ahead?" - Lyn GreenwoodSmith
- Mar 08, 2014 - R 200.00
- "Go Mikey Go!! We hope to see you on a bright yellow bicycle so we don't miss you passing by :)" - Krystal Kolnik
- Feb 28, 2014 - R 500.00
- "Now we're expecting a good time from you!!" - Trevor & Heather John
- Feb 19, 2014 - R 400.00
- "Go Mike Go! " - Jawitz Properties South Peninsula
- Feb 09, 2014 - R 300.00
- "You go Michaeleee !! Nice one!! " - Sebs and Cinds
- Feb 07, 2014 - R 200.00
- "Great reason to ride" - Mel
- Feb 07, 2014 - R 200.00
- "Great initiative! Good job Mike!" - Deborah
- Feb 06, 2014 - R 200.00
- "I love your slippers" - Finn Finnersly
- Feb 06, 2014 - R 100.00
- "Good Luck!" - The Green Room Kommetjie
- Nov 22, 2013 - R 500.00
- "Thanks for doing this!!" - Re-Sails South Africa
Mamelani works with people to increase their sense of agency and ability to improve their own lives. We work with young people coming out of state care through our Youth Development Programme and with women through our Health Education Programme.
To set up your own fundraising page for Mamelani Projects click here