My Only Story podcast funding
- By: Alison Pope
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/my-only-story
At the beginning of 2019, Deon Wiggett approached me with the idea to use a podcast as a platform to expose his boyhood rapist. At the time, we had no idea of how many other boys and young men had been targeted and raped by Willem Breytenbach over his 35 year reign of abuse.
The My Only Story podcast, detailing Deon’s in-depth investigation into the scores of sexual assaults committed by Breytenbach, can be found here. News articles published about the story can be found at news24.com.
From the very beginning, this was a project born out of a drive for justice and the belief that if we could prevent him from damaging any more boys, it would be worth every sleepless night it demanded.
Over the 11 months it took us to create this podcast, all costs have been covered by a small group of individuals. We have also been gifted with the time and expertise of many professionals who have committed their hours/days/weeks & months to bringing this story to life. So many individuals chose to support us in this justice project and turned away paying work as a result.
We would sincerely like to do right by them and in some way compensate them for the enormous gift that they have given us. We also wish to raise funds to help in the creation of Season 2, there is still so much more to discover and to reveal.
The My Only Story podcast has spread beyond our wildest imaginings, with over 50 000 plays in its first 3 weeks. The wheels of justice are finally turning for the benefit of the many survivors whose lives were forever changed by a predatory bullfrog.
By raising these funds, we can continue the investigation into this child rapist and keep telling the stories of the boys who have felt isolated and silenced for so many years. We believe that there are many more out there who will find their voices and eventually share in the relief of justice being done.
Here is a breakdown of the many hours that have gone into creating this podcast and for which we would like to compensate the contributors:
- 980 hours of research, investigation and admin
- 420 hours of scriptwriting
- 65 hours of design and illustration
- 240 hours in audio recording and sound design
- 360 hours of production coordination time
- over $8000 in music licensing fees
- over $4000 in travel costs
- over $6000 in recording equipment, software licenses and subscriptions
- Countless phone calls, cue cards and notebooks
- Feb 08, 2020 - USD $ 105.41
- "Amazing work. Bravo!" - Spencers
- Jan 23, 2020 - USD $ 25.55
- "For the eradication of Bullfrogs" - The Feyts
- Dec 01, 2019 - USD $ 157.80
- "Excellent work to slaying a bull frog" - Anonymous