Neurosurgery for Henmar
- By: Coleen Kapp
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/neurosurgery-for-henmar
Our almost 2 year old son, Henmar suffers from Epilepsy and has seizures. He was diagnosed December 2017 when he was 10 months old. He is on chronic medication. After doing a 2nd MRI, there is no doubt that the left temporal lobe is dysplastic, there is a clear abnormality of this lobe, both in size and signal on the MRI. He is not responding well to the medication.
There is potentially a chance he will respond to surgical removal of part of the temporal lobe. This decision is made by Dr Butler who is incredibly experienced in decision making around epilepsy surgery.
The younger the children are, the better for their development long term as the brain is still able to compensate. This is a big decision to make but we need to go through the process.
Henmar would however need a full workup, though the chances are fairly good that it may be possible.
Part of the workup includes assessing where his language function is in relation to the area concerned, this is done by means of further so-called functional MRI in Cape Town, which would take place together with another longer EEG.
We have an appointment on the 13th of February 2019, 1st for the functional MRI and EEG and the 2nd trip for the operation.
We are not sure of the total costs yet but need to start raising funds for when quotes are received.Funds raised will help cover:
Travel Costs R 2 000.00
Accommodation @ +- R600 per night R 12 600.00
Anesthetist Excess R 2 000.00
Neurologist - Dr Ackerman Appointment R 1 800.00
Dr Butler Appointment Waiting on quote
Surgeon Waiting on quote Pre-Hospital Admission R10 000.00
This is very costly and Medical does not cover 100%
We would like to try to raise funds to make this possible.
*Where possible, the funds raised will be transferred to the relevant medical practitioner*
- Feb 04, 2019 - USD $ 94.73
- "Dink aan julle en BAIE sterkte en Liefde." - Mosterts en Krugers in Aus
- Jan 26, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family." - Grant & Andrien
- Jan 24, 2019 - USD $ 144.78
- "Good luck and God Bless. You are in our thoughts and prayers. " - Boshard Family
- Jan 24, 2019 - R 3 045.00
- "In memory of our beloved Christopher, we hope, trust and pray that all will go well with Henmar and your determination to find solutions. Lots of love, strength and best wishes for the whole family!" - Peter & Ursula
- Jan 13, 2019 - R 300.00
- "Baie sterkte vir julle. Ons bid Liewe Jesus se geneesende hand oor Henmar" - Anonymous
- Jan 11, 2019 - R 205.64
- "I pray that this surgery will help Henmar and that the Lord will be with you as a family every step of the way**" - Su-Beth
- Jan 09, 2019 - R 203.00
- "With love xx" - Alberts Family
- Jan 09, 2019 - USD $ 120.56
- "Sterkte, dink aan julle " - Anonymous
- Jan 09, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Sterkte! ??" - Anon
Henmar Kapp Medical Cause
Our almost 2 year old son, Henmar suffers from Epilepsy and has seizures. He was diagnosed December 2017 when he was 10 months old. There is potentially a chance he will respond to surgical removal of part of the temporal lobe. This is a big decision to make but we need to go through the process.
Please Help Us Spread The Word: