Lets Take Nondumiso To Europe
- By: Zinhle Zikalala
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/nondumiso-khoza
My name is Zinhle Zikalala (26) and I was born and bred in Bergville but currently, reside in Cape Town.
I have an NPO called Ignite Young Minds SA that helps the youth in many different ways, and very often I get emails from the youth asking for different kinds of help. Recently, I got one from someone who knows me, telling me about Nondumiso Khoza who is a really promising athlete that needs to go to Europe and represent SA but did not have sufficient funds.
Nondumiso has a lot of potential and deserves a shot of living her dreams even is she hails in the rural areas and come from a poor household. She is known as Speedy and also comes from Bergville, a rural town in the northern part of Kwa Zulu Natal.
Nondumiso has an athletics dream that she’s been working on pursuing from a very young age. After she completed high school, she got an opportunity to relocate to Pietermaritzburg, in pursuit of her dream to become a professional athlete. She has represented the uKhahlamba District Municipality and the uThukela Municipality in various athletics events. She's also gotten the opportunity to represent KwaZulu-Natal in several other games.
She specializes in 400m, 200m running and is currently the 400m KZN 2019 CHAMP. This title has forwarded her the opportunity to go to the international athletics tour in Germany, Sweden, and Czech Republic, from 22 June - 20 July 2019. Here, she will be competing with athletes from all over the world. However, depending on just her mother, who works at Shoprite to support her financially, with paying school fees and accommodation in Pietermaritzburg and being the breadwinner at home is really hard for her to afford to pay for this opportunity.
She says without funding, her dream won’t come true and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, that will see her qualifying for all Africa games in 2019. The Olympics 2020 and World Champs 2019. Which would be great because I would then be able to put her tiny hometown (Bergville) on the map, and kill the stigma that there is no talent in Bergville and inspire the next child who might have a fading dream because of where they come from or the situation they have at home.
Nondumiso needs about 120K to cover her flights, visa, accommodation, meals and training facilities in Europe.
She needs to leave for Germany by the 15th of June but because funding was not coming together they have shifted the date to the 22nd of June 2019.
In Europe, she will stand a chance to qualify for all Africa games in 2019. The Olympics 2020 and World Champs 2019.
Let’s help create another Caster Semenya. Let’s all come together and contribute towards a promising African child with a dream.
*BackaBuddy will send funds raised directly to Maritzburg Athletics Club*
- Jun 13, 2019 - R 300.00
- "Hi Nondumiso we are very proud of you daughter if the KZN sooo , we wish you all the best we are proud of you " - Sayinile Zungu
- Jun 13, 2019 - R 205.64
- "All the best in your quest to be a great athlete. " - Bongani Hlongwane
- Jun 13, 2019 - R 210.00
- "All the best Nondumiso - you make us proud!" - Brigid
- Jun 12, 2019 - USD $ 21.51
- "Best wishes from Bristol, England " - Elaine N-S
- Jun 12, 2019 - R 102.82
- "All the best Mkhathini, thanks to all the donors." - Muzi Khoza
- Jun 12, 2019 - USD $ 1 274.73
- "I’m really proud of you. You are from my home town, present us well" - Anonymous
- Jun 12, 2019 - R 210.00
- "Good luck" - Rice
- Jun 11, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "I wish you air under your wings. May your hard work be rewarded. " - Inga
- Jun 11, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "Go and make us proud in Hoffenthal" - Thuthukani Mvula
- Jun 11, 2019 - USD $ 14.19
- "I hope you reach this and all your other goals " - Anonymous
- Jun 11, 2019 - USD $ 10.15
- "Good luck! Make South Africa proud." - Tracey Stanton
- Jun 10, 2019 - USD $ 35.32
- "Go for it!! " - Anon
- Jun 10, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Good Luck Nondumiso. Reach for the stars, persevere and make your dreams a reality!" - Emely
- Jun 10, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Hope your dream takes flight. " - Anonymous
- Jun 10, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Good luck Nondumiso!! Go make yourself and South Africa proud! " - Lindokuhle Ndaba