PechaKucha Global Gathering (Tokyo)
- By: Andrew Cole
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/pechakucha-global-gathering-tokyo
Tokyo is the birthplace of PechaKucha (PK) and the headquarters for the small team that runs the organisation globally. For the third year running, the founders of PechaKucha (Klein Dytham) will host a PechaKucha Pow Wow, which will take place March 23-26, 2017.
The main purpose of the gathering is to support and connect the global family of cities hosting PechaKucha Nights (now approaching 1000 worldwide). Apart from learning from one another and planning where PechaKucha is going as an organisation, it will be an opportunity for some intense cultural sharing with attendees from over 30 cities, including:
- Brasilia and Curitiba (Brazil)
- Gothenburg (Germany)
- Chicago, El Paso, Portland, Santa Fe, Seattle, New York and Miami (USA)
- Kirov and Moscow (Russia)
- Shenzhen (China)
- Townsville (Australia)
- Various Japanese cities
Andrew Cole, the City Organiser and longtime MC for Cape Town, plans to attend the PK Pow Wow to show off what our committee of volunteers has accomplished in Cape Town, but also to show off our city. As one of the few PechaKucha chapters to have hosted over 40 PechaKucha Nights, we have lots to share about the amazing speakers who've delivered their stories in the 20x20 format. It will also be an opportunity to show why Cape Town (in 2016):
- Won the Best City Award (for the 4th consecutive year) - Telegraph Travel Awards
- Took top honours as the world's #1 food city - Condé Nast’s Reader’s Choice Awards
- Was recognised by Lonely Planet as the #2 city to visit in 2017 (at least to witness the new Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa at the V&A Waterfront)
Andrew is looking for some help to get to Japan so that he can share all that we've learned as one of the leading PechaKucha chapters in the world, but represent Cape Town as a world-class city worthy of a visit (or two)...
Please help him show us off.
- Mar 13, 2017 - R 488.66
- "Have a wonderful time" - Your Folks
- Mar 12, 2017 - R 110.00
- "Go Andrew" - Cordula Pfluegl
- Mar 08, 2017 - R 500.00
- "Enjoy the trip Andrew! " - Amanda Reekie - imagineNATION Alliance and ovatoyo
- Jan 30, 2017 - R 410.00
- "Hope it's a great trip ... look forward to a PK of your PK conference" - Paul T
- Jan 27, 2017 - USD $ 22.43
- "Psyched to see you in Tokyo!" - Johnny
PechaKucha Cape Town
PechaKucha Cape Town (PKCT) features succinct and visually driven talks involving 20 slides, each displayed for 20 seconds to catalyse a high-energy, low-key networking event (PechaKucha is Japanese for the sound of chitchat). Featuring speakers from all walks of life, audiences enjoy presentations on a wide range of interesting subjects; from impressive personal accomplishments, to professional insights, to socially and environmentally relevant ‘passion projects’. The event takes place in the evening on the first Tuesday of every other month (5 x per year).