Bright young girl from a very poor background, dreams of becoming a neurosurgeon
- By: Sam Parrish
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/philasande
Phila has been accepted to a top independent school for Grade 9 in 2020 – the Global Leadership Academy (GLA) in Jeffreys Bay, Eastern Cape. Phila is the oldest of 3 girls and lives with her mom and grandmother in a very poor home in Hankey. Her mother is a seasonal citrus farm worker, and earlier this year she sadly lost the use of one eye completely through illness. The family is only just managing to keep afloat and could never dream of a good school for their eldest child.
Phila's current school is very dysfunctional, and she is one of 60 kids in a class, but despite this reads voraciously and strives to educate herself. There are no sports, no extracurricular opportunities and no library at this school. Many children in this area drop out of school early. With the extremely poor quality of education they receive at the local schools, even with a matric certificate, they have no employable skills other than becoming a farm worker, or get trapped in the cycle of drugs, prostitution, crime and violence.
Last year Phila approached the local non-profit 'Youth Potential South Africa – YOUPSA' (www.youpsa.org) during one of their workshops at her school and expressed her strong desire to receive good education that would enable her to fulfill her wish of one day becoming a neurosurgeon and help her community with their unending health problems.
Last year with YOUPSA's guidance Phila learned to become a youth librarian, in charge of a Mobile Village Library for her area. With YOUPSA's mentorship she also recently became an international HundrED youth ambassador, representing the voice of youth in their ideas for improving education around the globe. In addition to that, she entered a writing contest for the first time and her story was published online, see 'My Special Running Shoes' here: https://bit.ly/2pWxXYY
Phila is very special, kind, respectful, responsible, considerate, is passionate about studying and learning, top of her class. In her new school, she will be one of 25 kids in the class, receiving quality education, the necessary care, attention and mentorship from dedicated teachers, able to grow into the person she dreams of becoming.
The cost for her to attend the Global Leadership Academy is R36 000 annually. This includes school fees, transportation, uniform, shoes, stationery etc. She would be very happy to provide regular updates about her progress and build a relationship with potential sponsors.
Please can you help this exceptional young girl receive the high quality education that she deserves and fulfill her enormous potential?
- Jan 09, 2020 - R 500.00
Good luck" - Busi
- Jan 07, 2020 - R 1 000.00
- "Go for it and best of luck!!!" - Beat and Byron
- Jan 07, 2020 - USD $ 17.55
- "Wishing you all the best! " - Friend
- Jan 07, 2020 - R 171.31
- "Good luck with your studies, may God & good be with you all the way" - Also a mother...
- Jan 07, 2020 - USD $ 350.99
- "Please accept my small donation. I wish I could give more, but since January is a tough school time in South Africa, I'm already encumbered with my own responsibilities." - Musa Ngqungwana
- Jan 02, 2020 - USD $ 35.60
- "Keep up the hard work!" - Janet F-V
- Dec 28, 2019 - USD $ 142.39
- "good luck and keep going" - A well-wisher from afar
- Dec 22, 2019 - USD $ 35.13
- "All the best for your future! " - Lindy Schlosz
- Dec 21, 2019 - USD $ 36.00
- "Good luck to Philasande, may she prosper and do well!" - Lisa
- Nov 17, 2019 - R 500.00
- "." - Michelle Neophytou
- Nov 16, 2019 - USD $ 15.00
- "Reach for your dreams!" - KR SG
The Angel Network
The Angel Network is a voluntary organization, run solely via the power of social media. We are a registered NPO (181-947NPO). Our goal is to create a gateway for giving. A platform from which helping the helpless will become easily accessible to anyone wanting to do a little more, and give a little more. The Angel Network enables, facilitates and mobilises acts of kindness.