Protect The Nurses
- By: Carlo Gibson
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/protect-the-nurses
We are raising funds for scrubs and masks for the nurses working in Hellen Joseph Hospital in Johannesburg.
Scrubs for nurses:
• During Covid-19, nurses can no longer wear their uniforms, but need to wear scrubs that can be washed daily.
• They have to buy and pay for these scrubs themselves.
• Traditional scrubs are designed for male doctors - they look like overalls, don’t fit well, and are not practical for nurses.
• Let’s show our appreciation to these unsung heroes by helping them get the gear that they require.
• A donation of R350 will outfit a nurse with an Afrocentric and practical set of scrubs, manufactured by South Africans for South Africans.
• There are 850 nurses working at Helen Joseph Hospital who need 2 x sets each.
From the start of Covid-19 pandemic, we applied our skillset to manufacture solutions for the new challenges that lay ahead. My motivation was to keep all my staff employed during these difficult financial times, and to help stop the spread of Covid-19. To date, we have manufactured and distributed more the 50,000 fabric masks.
The face masks we made were designed together with doctors from the Infectious Diseases Ward in the Helen Joseph Hospital. During our collaboration, we learned that the nurses receive very little funding for PPE, and hence, had to purchase it themselves. During the Covid-19 pandemic, these nurses had to move to wearing medical scrubs. From a financial perspective, this kind of investment is a large one when compared to a nurse’s monthly earnings.
I befriended a couple of the nurses in Ward 20, and decided to manufacture some scrubs for them as a sign of my deep appreciation for their bravery and commitment. When designing these, I made a few changes to the traditional scrubs, offering them a more African aesthetically, and from a practical point of view, I accommodated nurse-specific requirements, as scrubs are designed solely for doctors. My inspiration was to create an outfit that didn’t’ look and feel like an overall, but instead, made the nurses feel dignified and comfortable.
When I donated the scrubs I had made, I was inundated with requests from the other nurses. However, it really saddened me that they could not afford the discounted price of R350 per set that I required to make these. And so, I decided to go on a quest to get funding to make these scrubs for these very brave individuals, who are risking their lives every day, being at the frontline to fight this pandemic.
Traditional scrubs are designed for male doctors - they look like overalls, don’t fit well, and are not practical for nurses. They are also an expensive investment for nurses compared to their monthly salaries. By donating, we could ensure that nurses are outfitted in a manner that better equips them to deal with the immense task that lies ahead.
Every R350 will be used to manufacture an Afrocentric and practical set of scrubs for a nurse at the Helen Joseph Hospital.
- Aug 01, 2020 - R 2 100.00
- "Love your work, Carlo! " - Henning Rasmuss
- Jul 30, 2020 - R 210.00
- "Your compassion, optimism and kindness do not go unnoticed.Thank you!" - Alicia Morgan
- Jul 30, 2020 - R 210.00
- "So thankful for your hard work!God bless you all!" - Eudine Morgan
- Jul 29, 2020 - R 367.50
- "Thanks and God's Blessings to all Frontline workers " - Monica Perestrelo
- Jul 29, 2020 - R 525.00
- "Great initiative ! " - Gina Waldman
- Jul 29, 2020 - R 735.00
- "Will try to donate regularly. Great initiative Carlo" - Dusanka Stojakovic
- Jul 29, 2020 - R 367.50
- "Great initiative in these difficult times" - Jean
- Jul 24, 2020 - USD $ 33.96
- "Nurses are the heroes we all need" - Liza Wostmann
- Jul 23, 2020 - R 500.00
- "Fantastic work Klipa Guys! Big ups!" - Daryl Hunt
- Jul 17, 2020 - R 735.00
- "Thank you! " - Lyndal
- Jul 16, 2020 - R 210.00
- "Stay safe, and thank you for your work " - Brooke Leaf
- Jul 06, 2020 - R 210.00
- "Be safe thank-you for the work you do" - Natalie
- Jul 03, 2020 - R 60 012.00
HEARTFELT THANKS TO ALL THE NURSES FROM JOE PUBLIC UNITED" - JOE PUBLIC UNITED
- Jul 01, 2020 - R 1 000.00
- "Well done! Great initiative " - Neshane Harvey
- Jun 30, 2020 - USD $ 110.31
- "Stay safe and thank you" - Jr
- Jun 25, 2020 - R 525.00
- "Hadeda thanks KLIPA for thinking of the nurses. So deserved! " - Hadeda
- Jun 25, 2020 - USD $ 32.91
- "Wishing our frontline fighters great health and success. Thank you all" - Gary Rutstein
- Jun 23, 2020 - R 212.00
Thank you to all the nurses..stay ssfe" - A.and A
- Jun 23, 2020 - USD $ 31.63
- "thank you for the risk you are shouldering" - Kirsten
- Jun 22, 2020 - R 1 012.00
Great project. I hope it can be extended to more hospitals" - Judy
- Jun 22, 2020 - USD $ 21.29
- "God bless you " - Steven
- Jun 20, 2020 - R 787.50
- "For two sets to Protect The Nurses x" - Annette Pringle-Kolsch
- Jun 20, 2020 - R 210.00
- "Power to all the Heroic Nurses in the Health Care Services all over the world!" - peter hazell
- Jun 19, 2020 - R 210.00
- "Thank you!" - Taryn
- Jun 19, 2020 - R 367.50
- "Really great!" - Stuart
- Jun 19, 2020 - USD $ 30.31
- "Excellent initiative !" - Vicki
- Jun 19, 2020 - R 105.00
- "Good Carlo, these nurses are risking their lives every day to help others!" - Paola
- Jun 19, 2020 - USD $ 316.50
- "Stay safe, you are heroes!!" - Monica Mercer
- Jun 19, 2020 - USD $ 61.62
- "Great initiative, Carlo " - Richard Mansell
- Jun 18, 2020 - R 105.00
- "Such a great initiative " - Yasmin
- Jun 18, 2020 - R 525.00
- "Nurses are heroes!!!" - Leane
- Jun 18, 2020 - R 210.00
- "Thank you and much love to our nurses!" - Philanie
- Jun 17, 2020 - R 1 050.00
- "Thank you for your fantastic efort" - Mario
- Jun 17, 2020 - R 525.00
- "Thank you to the nurses! You are the unsung heroes in the health care world. Keep up the good work!" - Tina
- Jun 16, 2020 - R 367.50
- "️️️️️ stay safe everyone " - David Milne