PTA PEPPER SPRAY DRIVE
- By: Zahraa Saleh-Mohamed
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/pta-pepper-spray-drive
We as Students from the University of Pretoria have decided to bring the PEPPER SPRAY MOVEMENT started by Students from the University of Cape Town, to Pretoria and Johannesburg.
Women should not be in fear to live in a place that is called 'home'. The events over the past few days that have taken place across South Africa has brought light to a serious problem. It has also shown the people of South Africa that when we stand together, especially women, our voice can be heard around the world! But now it is time to take action.
The movement started by a few University of Cape Town students, #IWillNotBeNext, has sent shockwaves across our Country, we cannot just ask for change to happen, we need to take the initiative. South Africa is a large country and as a way of trying to reach as many students and women as possible, we have decided to start the #IWillNotBeNext PTA/JHB Pepper Spray drive as a way to do that. We will start by distributing pepper spray to the students at the University of Pretoria and expand to Tshwane University of Technology as well as Wits and UJ if the donations made allow us to reach all the surrounding areas.
Pepper spray is a way for women to have some form of protection against assault/attacks. It may not seem like much but it is a start in combating the war females face in this Country.
Any donations made will be much appreciated no matter how small, your help is needed. Please urge friends, family members, peers and colleagues to spread the word about this campaign and to please donate towards it if possible! The funds raised will be used to buy pepper spray (R60) that will be handed out to students/women in surrounding areas for safety.
Assault against women has been happening for decades in our country but Enough is Enough! "This is the breaking point, the 'enough is enough' moment, the time to stand up and say that we WILL NOT tolerate this any longer. We have to deal with this culture of violence against women that is so deeply entranced within our society." - N Nkoane (uct student)
No more lives need to be taken at the hands of abuse. As we aim to make a change, we keep all the lives lost to abuse in our thoughts.
*Funds raised will be transferred directly to the pepper spray supplier*
Thank you. #IWillNotBeNext
- Oct 09, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Brilliantl initiative " - Anonymous
- Sep 20, 2019 - USD $ 3.57
- "Be safe " - Avian
- Sep 14, 2019 - USD $ 1.24
- "Good luck guys!" - Alfie Carter
- Sep 07, 2019 - R 205.64
- "I’m am angry . I am exhausted . It shouldn’t have come down to fundraising for pepper spray . We need change . Now " - Anonymous
- Sep 07, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "Pray for safety for all women in SA" - Shane
- Sep 06, 2019 - R 102.82
- "I stand with you." - Shaun
- Sep 05, 2019 - R 205.64
- "a short message " - anon
- Sep 05, 2019 - R 110.00
- "A donation to help protect vulnerable students." - Hoosein
- Sep 05, 2019 - R 100.00
- "May Allah (SWT) protect everyone. Aameen" - Anonymous
- Sep 04, 2019 - R 4.00
- "This is by far the little I have right now but I'm willing to donate. I hope this saves lives ?" - Sihle
- Sep 04, 2019 - R 308.46
- "May Allah protect us all inshallah ????????" - Mikaeel
- Sep 04, 2019 - R 50.75
- "Wonderful initiative " - Ayesha
- Sep 04, 2019 - R 50.00
- "For the end to gender violence in South Africa " - Anonymous
The #IWillNotBeNext movement aims to protect female students in Universities across South Africa.
Funds raised will be used to purchase and distribute units of pepper spray to women at the Universities who need to be protected from harm
A situation of danger could present itself at any time, and we find it necessary to do our part in making sure that every woman is prepared to defend themselves in a country that cannot protect us.
* Funds raised by this campaign will be transferred directly to the pepper spray supplier.