Quote This Woman+ COVID-19 Database
- By: Kathy Magrobi
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/quote-this-woman-covid-19-database
As South Africa scrambles to make sense of the ever-changing dynamics of COVID-19, we've created a database of women experts who are able to cut through the bulldust and talk sense about the impact of COVID-19 on current and future scenarios.
Updated weekly, our COVID-19 database is visited by journalists across the world an average of 100 times a day.
Up until now, we've raised enough money to keep our tech turning over by doing media training: but social distancing has brought that to a halt. We need R10 000 a month to keep Quote This Woman+ on life support - and that excludes any staff salaries.
Your donation will allow us to keep the website and database alive and our cellphones switched on - keeping women's voices heard in the ever-unfolding COVID-19 news stories.
- Aug 02, 2020 - R 211.50
- "Keep up the good work" - Alastair
- Jun 11, 2020 - R 525.00
- "Stay focussed" - Anon
- Apr 25, 2020 - USD $ 11.12
- "Strength and love! " - Jhm
- Apr 16, 2020 - R 100.00
- "Well done Kathy, good luck!" - Stephen
- Apr 10, 2020 - R 1 500.00
- "Quote This Woman+ is comprised of an incredible team amplifying women's voices far and wide during this pandemic despite limited resources, keep up the superb work" - Shakira Choonara
- Apr 10, 2020 - R 1 000.00
Keep up the good work" - Anonymous
- Apr 06, 2020 - USD $ 11.23
- "Thank you for championing women's voices." - Tamara 0h
Quote This Woman+
When it comes to the news, a woman is interviewed or quoted as a media expert only once for every four times that a man is. This means that time and again, stories that impact women as much as they impact men, are discussed on news panels and reported in newspapers without women having a chance to voice their input. QW+ curates a database of woman experts, leaders, and agitators; and lobbies journalists and news producers to turn to this database first when looking for people to interview and quote for their stories.
We also call out gender bias in news reporting. We are a nonprofit, and we do not charge experts to be on our database, nor do we charge journalists to access it, as we believe in a level playing field that advantages all experts and all journalists equally. We rely on support from those who have the means to pay; and the belief in what we do, to keep us afloat and sustainable in times ahead.