Race Across SA
- By: Freedom Challenge Scholarship Fund
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/race-across-sa
Starting in June 2012 RASA riders again have the opportunity to ride the Freedom Challenge and this again presents an opportunity to raise awareness around one of the many social issues we face in South Africa and even around the world... Education Education Education… so much needs to be done!
Some may see the futility of a couple of cyclist trying to make a difference in a rual community they cycle through, a community with a myriad of other social issues over and above underdeveloped education
So, like the starfish story from our Class of 2012 project, creating rural education opportunities may appear futile but giving even just one kid to get a shot at a better education is just such a worthwhile cause for us.
It would be great if you also see past the obstacles and help make a difference by supporting the Class of 2012 initiative
- Jul 31, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "Thank you, Ben De Lange, for your support during RASA 2012." - Bells
- Jul 23, 2012 - R 250.00
- "Richmond's box raiding bounty" - Richmond
- Jun 16, 2012 - R 336.19
- "We all take education for granted. Hopefully this small amount will help someone to achieve their dream." - Diane Cuthbertson
- Jun 13, 2012 - R 500.00
- "Good lunch !!!!" - Andy M
- Jun 11, 2012 - R 2 000.00
- "I hope someone benefits and will remember the importance of a decent education" - Gerrit
- Jun 07, 2012 - R 4 000.00
- "To ride RASA is to be thankful" - Old timer
- Jun 06, 2012 - R 2 500.00
- "Thanks for lunch guys and enjoy your ride" - Lunch @ the Grill
- Jun 05, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "Just because I don't have to ride it myself this year..." - TGIF
Freedom Challenge Scholarship Fund
Over the last number of years participants in the events arranged by the Freedom Challenge have expressed an interest in giving back something to the people along the route. After much consideration we have decided that a good starting point would be to establish an educational fund to benefit the scholars living along the Mehloding section of the trail. This section falls within the area formerly known as the Transkei and has been identified in various social development studies as one of the poorest parts of the South Africa.
The Fund offers a 3 year scholarships for promising students to attend the private school located at the Mariazell Mission just below the Malekhalonyane Chalets which is one of our support stations used for the Ride Across South Africa and Ride to Rhodes events. http://www.wix.com/allensharp1/fcsf
We are now challenging the 2014 FC participants to let their mountain biking passion benefit the local communities that span the Freedom Trail. This is a fantastic opportunity to contribute directly to uplift the knowledge and lives of individuals and communities through education.
The Fund is run under the auspices of The Freedom Challenge’s annual, extreme and unsupported, mountain bike race extending from Pietermaritzburg to Cape Town www.freedomchallenge.org.za This is a project of the Freedom Trail Foundation.