Rachelle Climbs to Tokyo 2020
- By: Rachelle de Charmoy
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/rachelle-de-charmoy
I’m a climber and climbing coach in Cape Town, South Africa. I’ve been clinging onto rocks and walls since 1998 and have competed for years winning numerous local competitions. I’m 31 years old now and I’ve decided try and qualify for the Olympic Games.
In order to prepare and to have the best chance of qulifying I need to got to as many world cup and world champion events as possible, the more money I raise the more comps I can attend and the better my chances of qualification.
I have selected a number of events to get to during 2019 and 2020 - click here to see my expedition timeline.
I'm raising money to fund trips to national and international climbing competitions including travel, accommodation, visas, competition fees and food as well as cover some local expences such as coaching, physio and reduced income while travelling and training.
I have three trips planned this year to attend 6 world cup competitions and world championships and I aim to make another 3 international trips next year including to the Olympic Games!
I'm aiming to raise enough money for each trip by the time that trip happens. The first trip this year is in mid May (~R17 000), then July (~R26 000) and then August (~R27 000). After that I will have until about April next year to raise funds for trips in 2020. Please see the info-graphic on my website for a timeline view of my goal.
The funds will be used for local and international travel:
• 1 return ticket to Johannesburg: R1400
• Competition fees: R900
• 6 x international airline tickets @ R8500 to R13000 each = R51 000 to R78 000
• International comp fees 2019: R553 + (6 x R790) = R5293
• International comp fees 2020: ~R5300
• Travel at international destination: 6 x ~R2000 = ~R12 000
• Accommodation at 6 international destinations (80 days in total): ~R16 000 to ~R20 000
• Food at international destinations: ~R16000
As well as local Expenses:
• Coaching over 15 months: R18 000 to R24 000
• Physio over 15 months: R7000
• Lost income while travelling: ~R42 000
South Africa has some amazing and well known rock climbing destinations, we are definitely on the map. I want to grow the competition climbing scene too and put South Africa and Africa further onto the international stage. By embarking on this campaign and following my dreams I hope to inspire future generations to believe in themselves, to dream big and to follow their dreams too! To make this happen I need your support.
- Apr 23, 2019 - R 514.10
- "I think that you can do this and I look forward to cheering you on :)" - Nonni