Sailing Worlds in Sweden 2019
- By: Gert le Roux
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/roux-christopher
It is indeed with great pleasure that I submit to you the name of our dinghy sailor who has recently done us proud in the Dinghy Sailing World -Roux Christopher le Roux (Age 15).
Long hours of practice and hard work regardless of weather conditions have enabled him to achieve this position. As per the National points scoring system, he is currently lying 2nd in the RS Tera Sport class in South Africa and has been selected to represent South Africa in Sweden.
ROUX CHRISTOPHER LE ROUX (ZULULAND YACHT CLUB) AGE 15
Roux started sailing in December 2017 after which he took part in the training academy hosted by Zululand Yacht Club.
Then he took part in the:-
• Eastern Cape Regionals at Mossel Bay in 2018 RS Tera Sport Class and came 14th out of 16 boats,
• MCS Week and Lipton Challenge Club 2019 in the L26 Class,
• Zululand Yacht Club and Royal Natal Yacht Club KZN Grand Slam Regattas in 2018, sailing in the RS Tera Sport Class where he came 4th overall in the RS Tera Sport Class,
• Youth Nationals at Vaal Dam in December 2018 where he came 3rd overall in the RS Tera Sport Class,
• KwaZulu Natal Regionals at Midmar Dam in January 2019 where he came 1st overall in the RS Tera Sport Class, and
• RS Tera Nationals at Pine Lake in the Eastern Cape where he came 3rd overall in the RS Tera Sports Division.
However, competing at the next level in the RS Tera Worlds in Sweden is a costly exercise. Sadly in South Africa, we don’t get funding/sponsorship from our SA Sports bodies for the sport, so all costs are covered by the parents and sponsorship for these up and coming, young sailors.
We need the funds by the 1 August 2019.
How will funds be used? Cost Per Sailor Participating in the RS Tera Worlds in Sweden 2019 from 04 to 09 August 2019
Schengen Visa R 927, 00
Visa Service Fee R 432, 00
Flight to Gothenburg, Sweden R 11000, 00
Clothing/Branding R 1500, 00
Boat Charter and Entry Fee R 9724, 00
Accommodation 9 Nights R 7732, 00
Meals R 4500, 00
Travel Insurance R 995, 00
Total per Sailor R 36810, 00
(Based on Exchange Rate of 1 Pound = R 18, 70)