Community hero support soup kitchen
- By: Robert Mason
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/russell-star
Russell Star, a community champion in Wallacedene township
Russell has been granted special permission during the COVID-19 lock-down to continue operating his soup kitchen in Wallacedene township in the western cape of South Africa.
The situation is dire in the community, with many children going hungry because their parents or guardians are without work and living hand-to-mouth. Russell is providing a nutritious meal once a day to 150-200 local children. He is 73 years old and uses more than 50% of his old age pension on community feeding but is facing a major challenge in that his wife has recently been made redundant after 32 years with her employer. They themselves are now surviving on one meal a day but are determined to maintain the soup kitchen to serve the community they love.
Russell is the caretaker of the grounds where I run my youth soccer club and I’ve known him for 3 years. He has become a dear friend and I can vouch for his character, integrity and love for people.
Any donations would go directly to Russell to keep this critical community project going. Thanks and blessings to you all, Rob
Funds will be used to cover the following expenses:
- To allow the soup kitchen to keep running for the next 2-3 months during the worst of the COVID-19 crisis
- Funds will be used to feed the soup kitchen children
*Funds raised will be paid directly into the relevant beneficiary*
- May 29, 2020 - R 2 100.00
- "Well done Russell x" - Anonymous
- May 29, 2020 - R 1 000.00
Such a great cause! Thank you for your hard work Russell." - Meyer Pieterse
- May 07, 2020 - R 1 050.00
- "Keep up the good work Russell. Stay safe and be blessed " - Percy
- May 03, 2020 - R 420.00
- "Thank you for helping the children Russell " - Piers
- Apr 12, 2020 - USD $ 124.10
- "Keep up the amazing work. Really pleased to be able to help." - Penny Edmunds
- Apr 08, 2020 - USD $ 27.23
- "Thanks for extending the hands of those of us who can't do this ourselves." - Anonymous
- Apr 07, 2020 - R 2 250.00
- "In times of need people like you are the Saints in our World, every little help you give helps not just that person but humanity in general. Thank you for all you are doing at this very difficult and unpredictable time for our World !" - Chris
- Apr 07, 2020 - R 500.00
- "Thank you for your work in Wallacedene Russell and for feeding the kids ️" - Anna
- Apr 07, 2020 - USD $ 53.02
- "Thank you for your dedication in this communtiy. Stay safe ." - Hattie + Sean
- Apr 05, 2020 - R 1 050.00
- "Keep up the amazing work Russell " - Rob
Russell Star Support Cause
I am crowdfunding for a very special person who goes by the name of Russell. He has been granted special permission during the COVID-19 lock-down to continue operating his soup kitchen in Wallacedene township in the western cape of South Africa. He provides food for his community and needs your help to continue to help the community that are struggling in these difficult times.
Any donations would go directly to Russell to keep this critical community project going. Thanks and blessings to you all, Rob.