Help Sam, a single mum with cancer
- By: Clare Mills
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/samantha-osman
Update: 22 June 2020
I was lucky enough to visit Sam and Leah in February/March of this year just before the Coronavirus exploded and changed all of our lives. It was absolutely wonderful to see Sam - she was thriving! It was the best I'd seen her in many years. The thing I noticed the most was her much improved balance - she was far more nimble and confident in going up and down uneven surfaces. It was really amazing and very noticeable.
Sam has been fighting a daily battle since her diagnosis and her trip to the clinic in Thailand did a lot to put her in the right frame of mind and to kickstart her 'protocol'. She came home with a massive array of drugs and supplemements which had to be taken very specifically - before/after breakfast, before/after lunch, before/after dinner. In combination, she is treated and cared for by her oncologist in George and has regular 'Zometa' drips as well as a hormone implant in her stomach every month with a very large needle.
Sam was and is so grateful for the support and when I suggested that I continue to push this fundraiser she refused, saying she was feeling well enough to work and other people were more in need. I relented...but things have changed.
Since the Coronavirus hit South Africa, many people have become impoverished, with little to no help from our government. Sam has been struggling more and more with finances as the economy in SA has crashed and the property market is struggling, making it really tough to make a sale. The bookings in her guest suites have been cancelled since the start of the lockdown and no international tourists will be visiting for the foreseeable future. In terms of South African visitors to her suites, this is not allowed at present because of the restrictions on travel within the country.
Sam can get by to put food on the table for her and Leah, but what she can't afford anymore are the essential supplements that have been boosting her immune system, as well as some of the prescription/chemo drugs which have been prescribed by her oncologist (as these are not being covered by medical aid).
Sam should be having regular Vitamin C drips. This hasn't happened for months. Sam should be taking her complex medicines and supplements as mentioned above - these finished after I left in March. Sam should be seeing her physiotherapist regularly to help with her mobility. This is not happening.
So the time has come for me to restart this fundraiser. I know that people all over the world are struggling post-Covid, but if you are in a position where you could spare a little something to help pay for Sam's very important medicines/supplements, I (we) would be so grateful. Please note that this is not Sam asking, it's me, Clare. Although she feels embarrassed and says there are others out there who need help just as much as she does, I believe that the option should be given to those who care for her, to help if they want, and that's why I'm doing this.
Update: 11 June 2019
Both Sam and I have been overwhelmed by the support that has been shown since this campaign started three days ago. To each and every one of you who have donated, thank you so much!
Update: 24 June 2019
I am so thrilled to be able to say that Sam had an MRI 10 days ago which showed that her tumour is responding well to treatment. It has reduced in size by 1cm in diameter, with 2 weeks of treatment still left to go!
We are so grateful for all the donations and messages. It has been a huge relief for Sam to know that there is some financial assistance in all of this and I think she's been blown away by all of the support. The continuation of treatment once she gets back to South Africa is imperative, and there is so much more expense still to come. She will really need our help upon her return and I humbly ask you to please keep sharing this fundraiser, sharing Sam's story and doing whatever you can to assist. Thank you!
Update: 15 July 2019
Sam is back from Bangkok and is readjusting to life back home. She has had a CT scan and an MRI but her oncologist is away so we are still awaiting feedback. This fundraiser has been a massive relief to Sam so once again, thank you all so much for your kindness and generosity. I will update here once we have feedback from the onologist. For some photos of Sam's time in Bangkok, please visit our raffle event on Facebook and look at the 'discussion' section.
Update: 23 July 2019 - A message from Sam
"It was daunting re-adjusting to life 'outside', taking care of myself, rushing around medical appointments; blood tests, CT and MRI scans, hormonal injections, discussions with oncology re. treatments and medical aid, school runs, and facing the office with the empty desk of my deeply-missed work partner and friend, Barbs. I can't really process this still.
My oncologist returns next week, when I will have proper feedback on my scan. I have mixed feelings; relief that I "did the time", and fear - continuing pain and pins and needles in arms and hands, interspersed with moments of joy and gratitude for what I have here.
Thank goodness Clare arrived after one week, by which time, exhaustion had overtaken (NK cells and chemo drugs still active) and I was just making it through the day’s challenges, before collapsing on the couch, already in a pattern of skipping dinner.
What a relief for Leah and I as Clare stepped in with school runs, meals, and generally ace company and support.
I am eternally and overwhelmingly grateful to Clare for instigating a fundraiser, without which, I would be returning to financially NOTHING and still clocking up medical accounts here. The financial support has been priceless - it has bought me time, time to make decisions and plan.
I am humbled, grateful, embarrassed and elated by the responses; people of Knysna, special friends, past clients, friends from many years ago, past employers, strangers... and some very surprisingly generous 'anonymous' donations.
People think estate agents are competitive and self-serving, this is a reminder of the individuals under this umbrella - who have supported their fellow agent - the Dream team, Fine & Country etc., past colleagues now ‘competitors’, these ladies THANK YOU! I have been quite emotional comprehending the support received, and the efforts made. People from all over have donated to the Backabuddy fund, and so many Knysna ladies have generously bought raffle tickets via KGG/Facebook, and the raffle prizes donated are also wonderful, thank you to all the businesses.
Anonymous people - thank you, I have tears of gratitude, that people care THIS much.
Clare has relentlessly raised awareness - it's hard to ask, and it's also difficult to be so public about something so personal - but the response has brought such a positive feeling of love and care from the community. Thank you for being there for me, and Leah, during this very challenging time.
I expect a miracle and wait to see the oncologist next week, after another bone-strengthening IV."
My name is Clare Mills and I am raising funds to help my dear friend, Sam, who is battling Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. Sam and I have been friends since 2007 when we met through work. When I met her, her little daughter was 10 months old. I was lucky enough to be asked to be her Godmom and watched her take her first steps on her 1st birthday. Sam and her daughter are like a second family to me.
Sam has been diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. She has had a mastectomy, radiation treatment and chemotherapy. She has also drastically changed her diet - becoming vegan, cutting out caffeine and alcohol and researching all the ways possible to live a cancer-unfriendly lifestyle.
Sadly, the cancer has metastasized and there is now a tumour growing on her spine, pressing on a nerve and causing extreme, debilitating pain. Sam's daughter is now 13 and about to start high school.
Sam has exhausted the treatment options in South Africa and has decided to travel to a world-renowned cancer treatment clinic in Bangkok called Verita Life. At Verita Life the doctors treat cancer with a combination of 'conventional' and 'holistic' treatment methods, which have proven to be highly successful.
Sam has borrowed money and is currently in Bangkok, receiving world-class treatment. However, we urgently need to repay the funds so that finances are one less thing for her to worry about. We would love to achieve our goal within 3 months and are also running a few campaigns alongside this one. (e.g. bake sales, raffles etc.)
Funds raised will be used to cover:
Sam's flights to/from Bangkok: ZAR11,000
Hotel accommodation near the clinic for her and friend who is assisting Sam during treatment: ZAR56,000
A 6-week treatment plan including the following:
- IPT therapy (chemotherapy)
- NK stem cell treatment
- Metronomic therapy
- Herbal therapies
- High dose Vit C and Artesunate
- Metabolic treatments
- Immune therapy and support
Some additional, unforseen costs have also arisen. Could you assist with any of the following?
Sponsor Sam's neck brace: ZAR450
Sponsor Sam's Zometa (bone strengthener - once-off): ZAR4300
Sponsor a lymph drainage treatment: ZAR550 2x/week x 6 weeks = ZAR6 600
Sponsor ozone therapy: ZAR2500 1x/week x 6 weeks = ZAR15 000
Sponsor Sam's upcoming MRI: approximately ZAR9000
Sam's PICC line was inserted in the hospital in Bangkok and cost ZAR18 000
By raising the funds, we are taking away the financial stress that Sam is under will help her to be able to put all of her focus and energy towards getting well.
The funds will go directly into Sam's bank account to replenish it. As mentioned earlier, she has had to borrow the money and has paid upfront for the treatment, flights and accommodation. She needs to have some financial security when going home to ensure that she can continue with follow-up treatments and daily expenses in general.
- Jun 24, 2020 - USD $ 42.20
- "I hope this little amount helps. Keep going Claire and Sam and I am so pleased to see people still donating x" - Viv Edwards
- Jun 23, 2020 - USD $ 123.50
- "Sending love to you Sam x" - Rosi
- Jun 23, 2020 - USD $ 121.28
- "Sending lots of love and hugs Sam xoxoxo" - Kath, Harry, Ella and Saba
- Nov 03, 2019 - USD $ 73.00
- "Always thinking and praying for you and Leah! <3<3<3 xxxxx" - Samantha ONeill
- Jul 15, 2019 - R 5 075.00
- "Not a Donation...more of a thank-you. xxx" - A very contented past Client!
- Jul 11, 2019 - R 2 537.50
- "Sam thinking of you loads " - Lee
- Jul 11, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Praying for a full and speedy recovery" - Tess
- Jul 11, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Be strong.....you will get better!!! Sending lots of love and positive energy. xxx" - Anonymus
- Jul 04, 2019 - R 1 015.00
- "Wishing you all the very best" - John Miller
- Jul 02, 2019 - USD $ 330.72
- "Our dear Sam - sending this with huge hugs - Fight this girl we are coming to see you soon xxx" - Kevin
- Jul 02, 2019 - USD $ 330.72
- "Unable to be with you in body - but ALWAYS with you in spirit and soul xxxxx" - Rayne
- Jul 01, 2019 - USD $ 141.99
- "Sending love and hope" - Kerry
- Jul 01, 2019 - USD $ 40.06
- "Hope this helps xx" - Luke Moss
- Jun 29, 2019 - USD $ 38.09
- "Sending much love xx" - Hen Campbell
- Jun 28, 2019 - USD $ 26.67
- "Keep fighting the fight, Sam!! Lots of love xxx" - Katie
- Jun 27, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Just a small amount Sam, but given with so much positivity...holding your hands and willing you through!! Much love ???? " - Jo Pretorius
- Jun 27, 2019 - USD $ 73.96
- "Wishing you all the luck in the world. . . . lots of love Ally" - Alistair Mitchell
- Jun 27, 2019 - R 510.00
- "Thinking of you and your amazing strength Sam with lots of love " - Paulette
- Jun 26, 2019 - USD $ 34.89
- "Blessings to you Clare ? All the best Sam wish you a speedy recovery?" - Aalia Jamie
- Jun 26, 2019 - USD $ 73.41
- "Sending hugs" - Maria
- Jun 26, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Good luck Sam! " - Clare’s Pea
- Jun 25, 2019 - USD $ 73.22
- "Sam - it’s been a long time since Bernadette’s wedding, but sending you love and wishing you we’ll sooner " - Alison Clark
- Jun 23, 2019 - USD $ 33.52
- "Thinking of you Sam. Sending love, prayers and strength to fight this xx " - Debbie Lewis
- Jun 22, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Thinking of you" - Jill Mathiesen
- Jun 22, 2019 - USD $ 335.11
- "Sending you love and strength and prayers Sammy xxx" - Annely
- Jun 18, 2019 - USD $ 135.00
- "Go Sam... stay strong. Our Love from Oz." - Michael & Wendy
- Jun 17, 2019 - USD $ 337.53
- "Go for Sam, we are right behind you!!!!" - John and Ruth
- Jun 17, 2019 - USD $ 132.33
- "Thinking of you." - Anon
- Jun 16, 2019 - R 507.50
- "Wishing you strength and a full recovery - love and blessings to you xxx" - Cathie (Knysna)
- Jun 15, 2019 - USD $ 14.20
- "<3" - Anon
- Jun 14, 2019 - USD $ 157.80
- "Get better soon Sam!!" - Gerti
- Jun 14, 2019 - USD $ 79.64
- "So sorry to hear of your latest battle Sam; sending lots of love, hugs and positivity x" - Jules & Bob, Terry & Dorothea, Jim & Margaret
- Jun 13, 2019 - USD $ 707.52
- "Keep close to God....He's close to you....Cx" - Clare L
- Jun 13, 2019 - USD $ 707.52
- "Come on you guys. There's a lot of us on LI that could make a difference here. We have lovely houses and loads of everything and more money than we need. You know who you are. I challenge you guys now" - Anonymous
- Jun 13, 2019 - USD $ 39.83
- "We send our love and best wishes to Sam and Leah." - Ruth Cullion
- Jun 13, 2019 - USD $ 210.40
- "As a father of two babies hearing of your and your daughter's challenge is hard to bear. Wish you all the best, get well very soon!" - Gregor
- Jun 12, 2019 - USD $ 35.85
- "Xx" - Laura
- Jun 12, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "With you in spirit, strength, knowledge, love and positive vibes." - Wendy
- Jun 12, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "Sams tenancity for survival for her daughter Leah is humbling" - Cherry Bullard
- Jun 12, 2019 - USD $ 157.80
- "Go Sam. You can beat this! Sending all our love and hugs xoxoxo" - Kath, Harry, Ella and Saba
- Jun 11, 2019 - R 304.50
- "Wishing you strength and recovery " - Lesley
- Jun 11, 2019 - USD $ 28.40
- "So sorry to read this Sam since our last convo. But you are always one determined lady and you now have the world behind and reading this some great close friends too. Keep strong xx love your ole " - Viv edwards
- Jun 10, 2019 - USD $ 35.32
- "Friend of Clare's " - Silje
- Jun 10, 2019 - USD $ 132.80
- "Oh Sam, you can do this! Such an amazing person, sending you big loves and hugs xxx" - Barb & Leigh Dunton
- Jun 10, 2019 - USD $ 60.03
- "Good luck, be strong!" - Charlotte Jordan
- Jun 10, 2019 - R 310.00
- "Best wishes Sam from Knysna local xx" - Anonymous
- Jun 09, 2019 - R 203.00
- "Dear Sam I am praying for you my husband has also got stage 4 cancer I know and understand I will try and assist on a regular basis as I am able to sending you strength " - Sandra Robb
- Jun 09, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Sending ypu positive vibes and lots of love" - Caroline
- Jun 09, 2019 - USD $ 33.50
- "Sam, so sorry to find out this news. If anyone can beat this it is you! Lots of love - Heather xxx" - Heather Ames
- Jun 09, 2019 - R 203.00
- "Wishing you nothing but 100% success with this!! " - Susan
- Jun 09, 2019 - USD $ 52.60
- "May the power of positive healing be with. Sent with love xx" - Debbie W
- Jun 09, 2019 - USD $ 13.37
- "Sam, I’m so sorry to hear this. Wishing you the best of luck in bankok. Lots of love Sal xx" - Sally watts
- Jun 08, 2019 - USD $ 21.04
- "Xx" - Another mum
- Jun 08, 2019 - USD $ 79.17
- "Wishing you all the very best and a full and speedy recovery " - Sarah
- Jun 05, 2019 - USD $ 107.46
- "Let's get this started Sammi! You have so many people who love you and we will get you two girls through this. Loads and loads of love & positivity." - Clare Mills
Donations to dateR 110 727.54
Fundraising targetR 120 000.00
Funds raised offlineR 18 939.00 Donate
Samantha Osman Cancer Cause
My name is Clare Mills and I am raising funds to help my dear friend, Sam, who is battling Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. Sam and I have been friends since 2007 when we met through work. When I met her, her little daughter was 10 months old. I was lucky enough to be asked to be her Godmom, and watched her take her first steps on her 1st birthday. Sam and her daughter are like a second family to me.