School of Courage & Confidence
- By: Kelly Fenning
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/school-of-courage-confidence
My name is Kelz Fenning and I'm the Founder and Head Cheerleader of the School of Courage & Confidence.
It’s a group training programme and personal development course for entry-level hospitality staff, cleaners, general and domestic workers in South Africa
The cost for the course is R1500 per person. It currently runs for 3 consecutive Saturdays in Plumstead, Cape Town from 10am to 3pm, finishing off with a swimming lesson in Bergvliet at Waterbourne Swim School.
The school is going really well with over 100 graduates completing the course in 2019 and 2020.
Unfortunately, our waiting list of unemployed women is growing substantially and while they are able to contribute R100 a week, it's not enough to cover the running costs of the school.
The reason we are fundraising is for the unemployed women in the townships who are friends and family of those who have attended our course who cannot afford the full amount to cover costs at R1500pp.
So many women have lost their jobs due to Covid-19, due to their employers immigrating, and/or downsizing over the past decade and majority of these women have only known a career as a cleaner, nanny or domestic worker. Therefore entering the workforce in another industry feels overwhelming, daunting and for some due to their age, is impossible.
For every 1 fully paid, employed domestic worker attending our school thanks to their employers, we want to match the number by including an unemployed woman from the same community.
As it's a new, fulfilling and positive 2021 ahead we are hoping to appeal to those who would like to give back in a small way that makes a big difference.
We would like to reach out and appeal to you so we can include these amazing women who are on our waiting list and offer them the opportunity to attend our next course starting in February 2021.
The topics we'll cover in the next course starting 24 October;
- Journaling, Emotional Wellness, Stress Management and Mindfulness Meditation
- Basic Terms of Employment & UIF
- Financial Literacy & Banking
- Nutrition, Diabetes, Blood Sugar Levels
- Family Planning, Understanding Puberty & Menopause
- Starting a Book Club to practise reading and learning to “Tell your Story”
- Understanding the Courts and SA’s Constitution. Access to Justice, Child Maintenance, Domestic Violence
- Understanding the Housing Situation in Cape Town
- Introduction to construction, basic electrics, plumbing, carpentry, solar energy, going green, sanitation and health & safety
- Phone etiquette, Customer Service and Reception skills
- Swimming lesson with Waterbourne Swim School
- Oct 06, 2020 - USD $ 1 825.00
- "You go Girl! " - Fasie Malherbe
- Feb 02, 2020 - USD $ 6.70
- "Reminding women they are valuable-priceless. Great work." - Kylie & Ruby
- Jan 26, 2020 - R 102.82
- "An amazing course run by 2 amazing women" - Cheryl
- Jan 26, 2020 - USD $ 13.09
- "Great work Kelz x" - Izzy Finn
- Dec 22, 2019 - USD $ 100.00
- "What an incredible idea , wishing everyone success and of course courage and confidence " - Boonstoppel
- Dec 22, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "We are so proud of you Kelz. " - Julie Fenning
- Dec 20, 2019 - R 102.82
- "All the best!" - Michelle Godfrey
- Dec 20, 2019 - USD $ 34.92
- "Good luck with your target. " - Sue Eagle
- Dec 19, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "You are superwomen doing such important work. So proud of you! May the school continue to grow from strength to strength. " - Emma & Jake
School of Courage and Confidence Cause
My name is Kelz Fenning and I'm the Founder and Head Cheerleader of the School of Courage & Confidence. It's a personal development course for domestic workers, cleaners and unemployed women in Cape Town. The cost for the course is R1500 per person. It runs for 4 consecutive Saturdays in Plumstead from 10am to 2pm.