Stand With Shafiek
- By: Ricardo Kleinsmith
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/shafiek-gordon
On 21st June 2018, my uncle (Shafiek) was on his way home from work traveling in the direction of Mitchells Plain, Cape Town. He felt something hit him in the buttocks, followed by the sound of gun shots. He then realized that he was shot from a car and tried to get away, hitting multiple vehicles and coming to a standstill against a concrete barrier.
He was rushed to hospital where he underwent a six hour operation. Doctors were trying to save his leg. Unfortunately his leg was amputated above the knee 4 days later.
It was a big blow to the family when we received the news that my uncle had been shot. He's a very energetic go-getter and just has a natural zest for life. Whenever a family member or friend is in a predicament, he's the go to guy. He never hesitates to help people.
He is coping, but we don't know what's going on in his mind and I feel that it's the least I can do as his nephew.
I'm hopeful and faithful that we'll get some assistance to ensure he can enjoy a better quality of life.
My Aunt, his wife has been through so much emotionally and physically. I can't imagine the toll this takes on the people helping him daily.
Thankfully he's a very independent and stubborn man - I think it has its advantages. He is the type of guy that, even though he's got his wife and kids – he always made/makes time to be supportive to myself and others.
I'm wanting to raise money to get him a prosthetic leg, please share and spread the word. We need all the help we can get. Thanking you in advance.
The quote we received comes to R190 500 and is not covered by his insurance.
- Aug 19, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "Also an amputee, never give up xx" - Margot Keys
- Aug 14, 2019 - USD $ 500.00
- "My dearest Shafiek and Asa, I am so proud of you and feel so inspired by the Strenght and Determination you have shown during this most difficult, painful, and challenging time! LOVE & BLESSINGS!!!!" - Debbie D'Aunoy
- Aug 01, 2019 - R 1 010.00
- "If I had the money to pay the full amount, I would do it without blinking an eyelid. This is really one stand up guy. He is always there to help anyone in need." - Anonymous
- Jul 20, 2019 - USD $ 71.91
- "Good luck xx" - Jeanne
- Jul 12, 2019 - R 514.10
- "May you go from strength to strength" - Anonymous
- Jul 10, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Hope you reach your target soon, in shaa Allah. " - Meisie
Shafiek Gordon Prosthetic Cause
Ricardo is raising funds for his uncle, Shafiek. As a boy, he grew up without a present father and his uncle played a huge role in grooming him to become a responsible man, and a firm but loving husband and father.
Just over a year ago, in June 2018, his uncle lost his leg after a drive by shooting. Ricardo is raising funds to get his uncle a prosthetic leg, to make his life just a little bit easier.