Shine The Spotlight on Survival
- By: Leilani Kuter
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/shine-the-spotlight-on-survival
My name is Leilani Kuter (46) - Gauteng. I have finished a 729km walk in 2019 and I have raised R250 000 during my walk. I have donated funds to 6 different organisations who are dealing with rape and gender-based violence victims. I have also donated funds to a couple on Jacaranda FM. Read the original story.
Since my walk I have decided to do dedication walks, meaning I am walking for other rape survivors. I have so far done a 35km, 30km, 5km, 28km, 12km, 50km and a 12 hour walk for rape survivors.
This year marks 28 years of survival after I was brutally raped and left for dead on 16 September 1992. Speaking up and sharing my story to inspire other victims to live their lives has been a big part of my healing in the wake of this horrifying incident.
This year, I am planning to walk 28km per day for 16 days starting on the 1st of September and end of the 16th of September to shine the spotlight on survival and raise funds for rape crisis organisations and dedication walks all over SA.
Every step of my 2020 challenge will be taken in defiance of systemic violence against women, men and children in celebration of our collective survival spirit.
Donors will be eligible for a Section18A certificate.
Listen & Read more:
- Sep 14, 2020 - R 500.00
- "Great initiative for a very important issue" - Derek
- Sep 14, 2020 - R 500.00
- "kudos to you and Amelia B" - craig kent
- Sep 11, 2020 - R 100.00
Anonymous" - Snapscan
- Sep 08, 2020 - R 280.00
Goodluck" - Louis Jonck
- Sep 07, 2020 - R 100.00
Ingrid Hauger" - Snapscan
- Aug 31, 2020 - R 105.75
- "Lani jy is awesome." - Lynette Potgieter
- Aug 24, 2020 - R 200.00
Lee" - Snapscan
- Aug 22, 2020 - R 2 643.75
- "Thank you for your courage, I salute you " - Heloise Smith
- Aug 21, 2020 - USD $ 29.02
- "Mooi loop! " - Elmari van der Westhuizen
- Aug 21, 2020 - R 150.00
Nicola" - Snapscan
- Aug 21, 2020 - R 200.00
Willemien" - Snapscan
- Aug 21, 2020 - R 250.00
Lindsey Dunn" - Snapscan
- Aug 21, 2020 - R 105.75
- "Thank you for building awareness " - Warick
- Aug 20, 2020 - R 105.75
- "Thank you for helping break the stigma and raise awareness." - Bianca
- Aug 17, 2020 - R 105.75
- "Lelanie - jy is 'n blink ster en doen amazing werk !" - Ilze
- Aug 17, 2020 - R 528.75
- "Your efforts are amazing, well done and good luck" - Andrew
- Jun 09, 2020 - R 315.00
- "Good luck and don't let anyone tell you what you're worth!" - JD
- Jun 06, 2020 - R 525.00
- "Hou aan met die goeie werk wat jy doen. Well done met vandag se stap! " - Philip en Salome
- Jan 28, 2020 - R 280.00
- "Hou aan om 'n verskil te maak! Ek is trots op jou." - Mammie
Donations to dateR 155 460.92
Fundraising targetR 280 000.00
Funds raised offlineR 148 201.00 Donate
Yellow For Survivors NPC
Yellow for Survivors is a SA NPC that has been established to provide victims of rape and gender-based abuse with resources and safe spaces to find the support they need to start healing after severe, life-changing experiences.
Leilani Kuter has walked 729km between 16 September - 12 October 2019 to raise funds and create awareness. Leilani will be doing another challenge starting on the 1st of September 2020. She will be walking 28km per day for 16 days.
She is raising funds for organisations in SA which provide resources and safe spaces for these victims of rape and gender-based violence. Yellow for Survivors will host talks at school, lay the groundwork for a much-needed network of counselors and provide support to women, men and children.