- By: Conservation Guardians
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/shongweni67-2021
Join us for this 4th year of #Shongweni67!
For those who have done the Challenge before, please join us again this 18th July 2021 to contribute your 67 units of doing what people do on Mandela day. For those who missed out, join in and be a part of change.
- In 2018, I (Greg Vogt) paddled 67km’s on Shongweni Dam with Sara Agostini to raise funds for Shongweni Nature Reserve.
- In 2019, I paddled the challenge on my own, whilst Garth Schonewolf took on the 100km distance in support of what we do.
- In 2020, we opened the Challenge to everyone and anyone who loved to paddle and we were humbled at the support we received. Over 60 boats joined us on Shongweni Dam to do the #67, in support of our bid to save this beautiful piece of biodiversity.
Please help us make 2021 bigger and better so that we can unlock some of the most amazing projects through your support.
Last years challenge enabled us to achieve so many of our targets. We purchased a food trailer that will serve food and coffee at this year’s initiative. Proceeds from the event went towards field ranger training, opening a new world to their development and we acquired equipment and PPE for these field rangers who keep our wildlife safe from poaching on a daily basis.
We trained and equipped two mountain climbing instructors who have since taken a significant number of people abseiling and mountain climbing.
Targets for 2021:
- Establish an operational aquaculture pilot project and train 5 future trainers/ teachers in aquaculture. Whilst aquaponics units work well as a back end to aquaculture systems, our ambitious target in this food security space is to start the aquaculture pilot as well.
- To complete our initiative to make roof tiles from waste plastic, and inspired by a precious plastics open source project, we aim to complete the process of producing our own roof tiles and floor tiles from waste.
These tiles will complete our roof structures for the accommodation we have started building.
- Charcoal briquette making from water hyacinth: This initiative will enable us to provide those local people who chop down tree’s for firewood, the opportunity to use an alternative source of fuel to cook and warm their homes with.
To achieve these targets, we will be reaching goals that effectively stop poaching and provide locals with an alternative source of food (food security); and the chopping of tree’s for firewood will be minimised through the provision of an alternative source of fuel. Lastly we hope that our roof tile project from waste plastic will enable us to make roof tiles and floor tiles for our accommodation units, with the possibility of a business for local people to do the same for their communities who lack roofing material.
Please join us on the 18th July 2021:
- Go it alone and take on the challenge of paddling 67kms’s
- Or gather a group of pals to take on the challenge. Your collective distance should reach 67km’s.
- If you do not paddle, you can do our famous “Climb” , from which you can enjoy amazing views all the way to the ocean from the top.
Follow the progress of #Shongweni67 :
- Jul 21, 2021 - R 3 600.00
- "Cannot wait to do the paddling section for this" - Vanessa Mayhew
- Jul 20, 2021 - R 1 340.00
Was Cold. Come on everybody, start moving" - Cheese Burger
- Jul 19, 2021 - R 500.00
You guys are awesome, well done 🤗" - Kath
- Jul 18, 2021 - USD $ 138.30
- "Thanks for the opportunity " - David
- Jul 17, 2021 - R 300.00
- "Thank you Lu for inspiring me. Great cause. " - Charmaine
- Jul 15, 2021 - USD $ 34.50
- "Behind you, Sophie and Matt :)" - Kate BH
- Jul 11, 2021 - R 670.00
- "In lieu of my participation ;) Smash it!!!" - Chaddy
- Jul 09, 2021 - R 100.00
- "You are so inspiring Lieshka-the-ice-swimmer - you got this!" - Tori
- Jul 08, 2021 - R 100.00
- "Keep up the good work you crazy nutters! " - Kerry Rowlands
- Jul 08, 2021 - R 500.00
- "Great work Greg & Co, and great effort and commitment Liesh & Co!" - Doug
- Jul 07, 2021 - USD $ 41.75
- "Best wishes for your swim Lieshka Vinnicombe!" - Nina Smith
- Jun 29, 2021 - R 150.00
- "Happy birthday Vanessa Mayhew" - Sue St Leger
- Jun 29, 2021 - USD $ 14.02
- "Great job Cuz! Keep up the hard work." - Andrew Stephenson
- Jun 07, 2021 - R 100.00
Support Shongweni Reserve and Biodiversity" - Brett Markwell
- Jun 04, 2021 - R 200.00
- "Love the cause." - Lieshka Parker Vinnicombe