Sometimes a Bike Ride Isn't Enough
- By: Matthew Young
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/sometimes-a-bike-ride-isnt-enough
Many of my friends and colleagus know how valuable a simple bike ride can be in sustaining happiness and a clear head for me. For many, though, a bike ride through the countryside on a clear morning is not enough.
Last month, I joined a group of passionate cyclists who will ride the 94.7 Momentum Cycle Challenge in Johannesburg on November 15, 2015 in support of the South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG). Any and all support you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
SADAG just celebrated their 20th anniversary and is the largest mental health organization in the country. They provide support through 15 helplines (which receive over 400 calls a day) answered by 100 volunteer counselors, hundreds of school programs, distribution of speaking books, and over 250 support groups and counseling centers. 1 in 4 South Africans struggle with mental health problems, and there are an average of 23 suicides and over 230 attempts per day. SADAG is actively helping those that struggle with depression, bipolar, trauma, panic and anxiety, substance abuse, and suicidal thoughts.
I am honoured to support such a worthy cause and hope that you'll join me.
- Nov 16, 2015 - USD $ 52.76
- "We are very proud of you for supporting this cause." - Dad and Ann
- Nov 14, 2015 - R 512.50
- "Bravo Sara!" - Wally and PopPop
- Nov 09, 2015 - R 1 025.00
- "Miss you guys but glad to see you haven't changed." - Jen Moeller
- Nov 07, 2015 - R 531.81
- "Bravo Meto!!!" - Family Nikoloski
- Nov 06, 2015 - R 512.50
- "Goodm Show! Cheers!" - Grandma Lorna and PopPop
- Nov 05, 2015 - R 1 000.00
- "Ride on!" - Matt & Garet Libbey
- Nov 05, 2015 - R 1 025.00
- "Good luck Matthew, and enjoy the ride! Thank you for doing the work that you do. <3" - Mike & Pam
- Nov 05, 2015 - R 205.00
- "Go Dad!" - Conrad Young
- Nov 04, 2015 - R 500.00
- "Don't go out too hard at the start!" - Richard Does
- Nov 04, 2015 - R 410.00
- "Good luck and stay hydrated! " - Sara Mierke
- Nov 04, 2015 - R 102.50
- "Good luck, MCY!" - anonymous