Javascript is not enabled! Please turn on Javascript to use this site.
Sonia's Cancer Cause

Sonia's Cancer Cause

Personal message

My name is Sonia Alvarez. I was diagnosed with an aggressive type of breast cancer on the 18th of July 2019. Once I got over the shock, I decided to tackle it head-on and get the tumour out of my body as quickly as possible. I have been receiving heavy doses of chemotherapy, I’ve made some drastic (and positive) lifestyle changes to support my body as it fights the cancer, and the tumour has (much to my absolute joy, not to mention that of my oncologist) reduced dramatically in a short period of time. I still go to work every day, and refuse to allow the cancer to get the better of me. I believe with all my heart that I will be cancer-free by the end of 2020. I will still need to have a double mastectomy, and I will cross that bridge when I get there, but I will be alive, I will be able to attend my son’s wedding, and I will be around to watch my grandchildren grow up.

At fifty-five, I still have a lot of living left to do.

But there is a small problem. Even though I have medical insurance (which costs me a small fortune every month), I have been told that to fully cover my treatment for the next year, I am going to have to upgrade my medical cover. When they told me the monthly amount, my heart sank. There is absolutely no way that I can afford to pay what they’re asking. What this means is that by February 2020, the medical aid will stop paying for my treatments in full, and I will have to make a 20% co-payment on every treatment I receive, while they cover the other 80%. My treatments are due to continue until the end of 2020. The treatments themselves cost R15,000 a Herceptin shot, and I need to receive one every three weeks. This means that every three weeks, I need to find R3,000 for the co-payment. If I didn’t have breast cancer, I would probably be raising the funds by taking a night job :).

If my treatment is interrupted, I risk regressing. I can’t allow that to happen, not now, not after the amount of work that has already been done. Too many people around me are dying of cancer, but I don’t want this to be me. I want to be one of the success stories. If I am able to complete my treatment, I’m going to need about R50,000 to cover all the shortfalls and co-payments. I know it’s a big ask, but even a small donation of R200 will make a huge impact. In fact, any contribution, no matter how small, will have a huge ripple effect. If you are financially able to help me, I will be eternally grateful. If you are unable to help (and trust me, I understand) even a small prayer will make a difference.

I have crossed paths with the most incredible Earth angels during my cancer journey, and I know that there are many more of you out there. 

 

Donations

  • Mar 30, 2020 - R 514.00
  • "*" - Anonymous

  • Mar 05, 2020 - USD $ 32.76
  • "pronta recuperación" - Oscar Zamonsky

  • Mar 04, 2020 - R 212.00
  • "

    Pronta recuperacion! De una coterranea tuya...

    " - Ana

  • Mar 02, 2020 - R 2 000.00
  • "Fuerza Sonia!! Besos y abrazos!!" - Andrea Rigamonti

  • Mar 02, 2020 - USD $ 32.10
  • "Fuerza !" - Cacho Cabral

  • Feb 19, 2020 - R 20 010.00
  • "

    Los mejores deseos y pronta recuperation.

    " - Anonimo

  • Jan 31, 2020 - R 514.00
  • "*" - Anonymous

  • Jan 31, 2020 - R 500.00
  • "Good work boys. All the best Sonia" - Brad

  • Jan 13, 2020 - R 500.00
  • "

    Wish you the best results. You will beat it.

    " - Giovanni

  • Jan 10, 2020 - R 110.00
  • "

    May you be healed and may you enjoy a happy future with your family

    " - Adele

  • Jan 07, 2020 - R 514.10
  • "*" - Anonymous

  • Jan 03, 2020 - R 500.00
  • "Please get better " - David Glen

  • Jan 03, 2020 - R 500.00
  • "I wish you a speedy recovery xx" - Sabine Hlen

  • Dec 31, 2019 - R 359.87
  • "Fight this motherfucker to the ground, you hear me? ??" - Phillipa Mitchell

Donate to this charity

Statistics

Donations to date

R 16 149.91

Fundraising target

R 50 000.00
Donate

Sonia Alvarez Cancer Cause

Sonia Alvarez Cancer Cause Logo
My name is Sonia Alvarez I have been dignosed  with an aggressive type of breast cancer on the 18th of July 2019