Stacey’s birthday appeal: Empowering Mr T to start a small sewing business
- By: Stacey Wolpert
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/staceys-birthday-appeal-empowering
Personal messageWho is Mr T?
Mr T is a wonderful, extremely intelligent, highly motivated, and incredibly grateful and humble man. He’s a refugee from Burundi, living in South Africa.
What’s his story?
During an attack on his village in Burundi when he was 9 years old, his leg was hacked off at the hip. His parents were killed in this attack, and he does not know if his sister survived. Unfortunately, his stump is too short for a prosthetic – but he has no self-pity, and zoots around on his crutches.
Despite trying for years to find employment, he has never been given a chance. A UNHCR-affiliated organisation used to give him a small contribution each month for rent, as well as a food voucher, but unfortunately the rent money dried up due to budget cuts.
Mr T found himself on the streets. He was robbed of all his clothes on the very first night.
Where is he now?
The Afrika Awake angels were able to get him a place at a wonderful shelter, Redeeming Hope for the Disabled, started by the inspiring Godel Sefu, a Congolese man who himself is in a wheelchair – and a true godsend to many.
The shelter does not receive funding, so Mr T’s first four month’s rent were raised through Dave Blakey’s birthday fundraiser in June. Since that has run out, it’s time for bigger and better things!
What’s next for Mr T?
Afrika Awake recently launched a fantastic sewing project at the shelter. Mr T picked up this skill really fast – and this could be his big opportunity!
The dream is to empower him to be self-sufficient, safe and happy, by helping him set up a small sewing business and move into his own place.
What does he need?
To get Mr T set up in his new life, this is what he needs:
- R5,000 (USD 350) will cover home rental and food for 2 months
- R3,500 (USD 250) will buy a good-quality second-hand overlock machine
- R2,000 (USD 140) will be used for start-up materials
- R2,000 (USD 140) will cover 2 months’ shop rental
Life as a refugee in South Africa – and most other places – is very difficult, and Mr T’s disability makes it even more challenging. But he has a special spirit and will to succeed – he just needs a chance!
Any amount brings him closer to his dream! The funds will go directly to Afrika Awake.
Please let’s all celebrate our many blessings, and help empower a kind man to be all he can be!
These are both amazing charities – please feel free to research them or help them directly!
Afrika Awake: https://www.facebook.com/afrikaawake2/
Redeeming Hope for the Disabled: https://www.facebook.com/redeeminghopeforthedisabled/
- Oct 28, 2018 - USD $ 123.27
- "Happy birthday again dear! A little something from all of us contributing to your very worthy cause ?" - Chun, Connie, Jackie & Kent
- Oct 27, 2018 - USD $ 100.00
- "Noble cause, well done :)" - Meir
- Oct 26, 2018 - USD $ 34.28
- "Best of luck, Mr T! And happy birthday Stacey xx" - KO
- Oct 26, 2018 - R 400.00
- "Happy birthday" - Anonymous
- Oct 26, 2018 - USD $ 50.00
- "Happy birthday Stace! You’re an amazing human. " - Candice and Aaron
- Oct 26, 2018 - R 200.00
- "Fly high!" - Silbermans
- Oct 26, 2018 - USD $ 68.56
- "Happy bday, Stace! Hope Mr. T gets everything he needs!" - Cheryl Cohen
- Oct 23, 2018 - USD $ 69.79
- "amazing! happy bday stacey! " - CC
- Oct 23, 2018 - USD $ 13.96
- "Klap it! Let's fund this boet!" - Mikey
- Oct 23, 2018 - USD $ 6.98
- "You go girl!!! Keep being amazingwe!!" - Toni
- Oct 22, 2018 - R 5 160.85
- "Happy Birthday special Stace " - Anonymous
- Oct 21, 2018 - USD $ 13.89
- "Keep being you Stacey - you're an inspiration to all of us. Much success to Mr. T.!" - Melissa Berman
- Oct 21, 2018 - USD $ 20.83
- "Happy bday Stace" - Simone
- Oct 19, 2018 - USD $ 6.93
- "Go Mr T! And happy birthday Stace :)" - Tina
- Oct 18, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Happy birthday my precious and we are behind you Mr T!" - Jess
- Oct 18, 2018 - R 400.00
- "Happy birthday cooksie and go Mr T!" - Arl
- Oct 17, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Great birthday idea stace??, and good luck to Mr T ??" - Anna
- Oct 17, 2018 - USD $ 50.26
- "Happy birthday and good luck!" - Kanishk
- Oct 17, 2018 - USD $ 25.00
- "Happy birthday Stace! Good luck Mr T" - Danielle
- Oct 17, 2018 - USD $ 7.06
- "Good luck Mr T & happy birthday Stace! " - James
- Oct 17, 2018 - R 2 500.00
- "Happy birthday bro, and go Mr T!! What an awesome man!" - Dave Blakey
- Oct 17, 2018 - USD $ 35.29
- "I hope this is an exciting new start, Mr T! xx" - Stace