Stand with Emil
- By: Glynn Erasmus
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/stand-with-emil
My son, Emil was your average 16 year old with the world at his feet. He enjoyed playing sport and mastering his musical talents. The Big C wasn’t in our plans for the future and we had no idea of the impact it would take on our family of 5.
So this is how it all began…
In April 2016, Emil developed a pain in his upper thigh. Thinking it was a muscle strain or sports injury, he stopped all physical activity to avoid aggravating the injury. When the pain subsided, Emil returned to his sporting activities only to have difficulty walking once again.
We consulted a Biokineticist believing it to still be a sports related issue. After a couple of sessions with no improvement, Dr. Terblanche sent Emil for an ultrasound scan. This was followed by an X-ray, which revealed that he had Ewings Sarcoma - Bone Cancer.
An Orthopaedic Surgeon at Hopelands Cancer Clinic, confirmed our worst fears and before a biopsy could take place, Emil fractured his femur simply making his way down the stairs.
Emil spent a week in St. Augustines hospital recovering from his injury, with no medical aid and already mounting medical bills we had no option but to pack up our lives in Durban and move to Cape Town to treat Emil’s condition at Groote Schuur.
Emil has since persevered through 6 months of intensive chemotherapy and has undergone extensive surgery to replace his femur and knee with metal components.
He’s unable to walk or make proper use of his infected leg, but maintains his positive disposition and keen sense of humour.
As a family we have experienced first hand how unpredictable and often unfair life can be. But as the saying goes, through adversity, we have found our strength. We would like to thank everyone who’s supported us during this difficult journey.
If you would like to support Emil with his Chemotheraphy you can DONATE HERE.
If you are unable to donate towards Emil’s chemo, please share his story with your networks. Emil’s next donor might be someone you know.
Follow Emil’s journey on Facebook for regular updates: @StandWithEmil
*To ensure transparency, BackaBuddy NPC, will be managing all funds generated by this Crowdfunding Campaign. Funds will be paid directly to Emil’s medical practioners. Contact [email protected] for queries or to set up your own campaign.
- Aug 31, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "Emil, what strength you must have. Like your Dad. Hope it's a happy bday. " - Lesley Derby Eichholz
- Jun 04, 2018 - R 205.64
- "get well soon young man! - many blessings" - anonymous
- Mar 02, 2018 - R 9 466.61
- "Standing with you xo" - Anonymous
- Feb 25, 2018 - USD $ 86.66
- "prayers with you" - Anonymous
- Feb 24, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Sending you lots of energy from Barcelona, Spain! Keep hanging in there, you are doing amaizing! " - Laura
- Feb 23, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "Sending you strength and energy :)" - Paula & Brandon
- Feb 02, 2018 - USD $ 67.54
- "Strive on!" - Anon
- Jan 13, 2018 - USD $ 80.78
- "big love from the big smoke! keep on looking up (:" - marg
- Dec 14, 2017 - USD $ 37.15
- "I'm rooting for you!" - Mike Cullen
- Nov 22, 2017 - R 278.13
- "Praying God wraps his arms around you and your family during this time, he is your comforter and healing. Sending you all my love and prayers. You will never stand alone, we all stand with you. " - Iona Murray
- Oct 21, 2017 - R 1 028.20
- "Get well soon!" - Anonymous
- Sep 21, 2017 - R 102.82
- "We're with you brother " - JRey
- Sep 20, 2017 - R 514.10
- "Amandla ngawethu, Emil" - Luke Muller
- Sep 14, 2017 - USD $ 54.95
- "Hi Emil! Thinking of you and your family always! Lots of love xx" - Ashleigh Erasmus