Steve Anderson's 3 Peaks Challenge 2017
- By: Steve Anderson
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/steve-andersons-3-peaks-challenge-2017
I have decided to dedicate my race this year to raise awareness and funds for an organisation called Mamelani Projects. Mamelani is a registered NGO that runs an innovative Youth Development Programme. Mamelani was a Gold Award recipient of the 2016 Youth Excellence Awards (awarded by the Department of Social Development in collaboration with Imphumelelo).
As you will all know, school drop-out rates and youth unemployment are big issues facing South Africa today. Even though the young people in Mamelani's programme are particularly vulnerable (given their backgrounds and family situations) the organisation’s recent findings showed that 88% of the youth in the programme are making progress with regard to education, further studies and employment.
The programme provides support to young people who, when they turn 18, are often forced to move on from the system. Many of these young people are not ready for this transition and without adequate support, after years of stability, they struggle to cope with this new reality. Aside from needing emotional support, many of these young people need to be supported to stay in school, attend skills training programmes and find meaningful work. Mamelani's programme helps them to build resilience, to strengthen their sense of who they are and to acquire the skills they need to move forward in their lives. The support that Mamelani provide focuses on resilience building activities, support for further education, the opportunity to start a paid internship and ultimately prepare for the world of work. Mamelani's Programme ensures that these young people do not fall through the gaps at this critical time and ensures that they are emotionally and practically prepared for the next chapter of their lives.
As one of the Vice Principals of Westerford High School, I am calling on the wider Westerford community to help me reach my goal of raising R10 000. These funds will ensure that Mamelani is able to offer this essential support. Please help me reach this goal which will create opportunities for the young people that Mamelani works with! The class who raises the most funds will receive an exciting prize! Mamelani can issue section 18A certificates for donations made - all donations are tax deductible. Please include your email address so that 18A certificates can be issued, where needed.
- Nov 16, 2017 - R 310.00
- "Great initiative Steve . Sorry I can't do it with you . Good luck " - Mark Smith
- Nov 15, 2017 - R 50.00
- "Will the ex Hudsonians, Selbornians and Queenians match or better? " - Queenian - S.A.
- Nov 07, 2017 - R 1 542.30
- "well done couzin - impressive performance " - anonymous
- Nov 06, 2017 - USD $ 37.01
- "A really important cause, Steve. Nice work! " - Jenny H
- Nov 06, 2017 - R 308.46
- "Well done for raising funds for this great initiative Steve!" - Mark Anderson
- Nov 03, 2017 - R 514.10
- "See you at the start..." - Cameron
- Nov 01, 2017 - R 210.00
- "Good luck...a big challenge" - Anonymous
- Nov 01, 2017 - R 1 000.00
- "Go for it Steve my boet! " - Ingrid van der Merwe
- Oct 31, 2017 - R 102.82
- "From Ella Vermaak Grd 10A Go Mr Anderson!" - Arnold Vermaak
- Oct 31, 2017 - USD $ 14.97
- "Great cause - hope you hit the target!" - The Millars
- Oct 28, 2017 - R 50.00
- "Good luck! " - Jesse Laitinen
- Oct 22, 2017 - R 205.64
- "Enjoyed meeting you at the Classical pops choir practices" - Clive Bilski
- Oct 21, 2017 - USD $ 62.00
- "Great cause. " - Anonymous
- Oct 21, 2017 - USD $ 15.43
- "Thank you for making the work of Mamelani more widely known" - Anonymous
- Oct 18, 2017 - R 205.64
- "Keep doing the great work, Mamelani! " - Anonymous
Mamelani works with people to increase their sense of agency and ability to improve their own lives. We work with young people coming out of state care through our Youth Development Programme and with women through our Health Education Programme.
To set up your own fundraising page for Mamelani Projects click here