Help Tanya Live a Normal Life!
- By: Taryn Sabbioni
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/tanya-delport
My name is Taryn Sabbioni and live in Observatory, Johannesburg, but this is not my story.
I am raising funds for one of my closest friends, Tanya Delport. I met Tanya by chance two years ago and her sweet nature, gentle spirit, huge heart and boundless capacity for putting the needs of others before her own never ceases to amaze and inspire me. Tanya is one of the most genuine and kindest people I have ever met.
Where we take our eyesight for granted, for Tanya, every day is a battle.
Tanya suffers from a disorder called Stargardt macular degeneration. Stargardt is a genetic eye disorder that causes progressive vision loss. This disorder affects the retina, the specialised light-sensitive tissue that lines the back of the eye. Specifically, Stargardt macular degeneration affects a small area near the center of the retina called the macula. The macula is responsible for sharp central vision, which is needed for detailed tasks such as reading, driving, and recognizing faces. In most people with Stargardt macular degeneration, a fatty yellow pigment (lipofuscin) builds up in cells underlying the macula. Over time, the abnormal accumulation of this substance can damage cells that are critical for clear central vision. In addition to central vision loss, people with Stargardt macular degeneration have problems with night vision that can make it difficult to navigate in low light. Some affected individuals also have impaired color vision.
(Read more here: https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/stargardt-macular-degeneration#)
Tanya has been suffering from Stargardt since late childhood but her eyesight is now deteriorating at an alarming rate because of the stress placed on her by the condition, as well as her job which necessitates that she works on computers and reads printed materials.
Tanya struggles to read books, menus, recipes, even emails or messages on her phone and because of this disorderr and is unable to drive and has to rely on others to get around. Understandably, this condition has made Tanya feel anxious, depressed and hopeless as she struggles with even the simplest of tasks.
Although there is no treatment for Stargardt, there are devices which can assist sufferers and help them live more normal lives. One such device is the Ruby 7 HD, a text magnifier which magnifies materials up to 24 times and will help Tanya in both her professional and personal life.
**WE HAVE NOW REACHED THE TARGET IN ORDER TO PURCHASE THE RUBY 7 HD MAGNIFIER FOR TANYA!**
The reaction to this campaign and Tanya's plight has been so overwhelming that we have decided to leave the campaign open to raise further funds towards Tanya's cause, these funds will be used for:
- Tanya's medical expenses, including medication and specialist visits.
- Special glasses which Tanya will need once her eyesight has deteriorated to the point that she is no longer able to see with the specialised contact lenses which she currently uses.
- Further aids to be purchased from The Low Vision Centre which will make Tanya's life easier (such as a portable magnifier, large format monitor and keyboard and other devices to help slow the degeneration of her vision).
All funds will be used only towards helping Tanya to live with her condition and proof will be provided of where funds are being used.
We will also be arranging a fundraising event to further help this cause!
Tanya gives so much love and support to others, let's help give this beautiful soul hope for a better life!
*Funds raised will be used to purchase the Ruby 7 HD magnifier from The Low Vision Centre by BackaBuddy*
- Nov 07, 2019 - R 2 056.40
- "I hope things have been going well for you. I hope this helps." - Anonymous
- Jul 19, 2019 - USD $ 14.41
- "You aren't fighting alone. We're with you!" - FredWolf
- Jun 10, 2019 - R 822.56
- "how unfair! strength and courage" - the 'Kins
- Jun 10, 2019 - R 300.00
- "Sterkte!" - D
- Jun 10, 2019 - R 270.00
- "Liefde" - Corinne
- Jun 10, 2019 - USD $ 17.86
- "Hierdie is om daai target te bereik !!!!!" - Bernice
- Jun 10, 2019 - R 300.00
- "This is a worthy cause for a worthy young lady" - Deon
- Jun 10, 2019 - R 406.00
- "Lief vir jou ?" - Danelle & Justin
- Jun 10, 2019 - R 1 015.00
- "Good luck!" - Charles
- Jun 10, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "May this help for better quality of life" - Anonymous
- Jun 09, 2019 - R 1 542.30
- "Hope this helps you to keep doing what you love!" - Anonymous
- Jun 06, 2019 - R 250.00
- "Keep on smiling :)" - ML
- Jun 06, 2019 - R 5 010.00
- "Hey Tanya hoop die help jou " - Zander & sherees
- Jun 06, 2019 - R 102.82
- "God bless and will keep you in my prayers Tan :)" - Tannie R
- Jun 05, 2019 - R 1 850.76
- "I hope that this donation helps in some small way. Wishing you the best of luck!" - Anonymous
- Jun 05, 2019 - USD $ 68.10
- "To Tanya, sending you love." - Bevbee - Taryn's Mom
- Jun 05, 2019 - R 110.00
- "I have known you for over 11 years, you deserve this - All the best <3" - JessB
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 507.50
- "Hope this small amount make a difference" - Anonymous
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Psalm 139 - 14 " - Anonymous
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Love you buttercup " - Mumz
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 102.82
- "all the best. strength and courage." - anonymous
- Jun 04, 2019 - USD $ 10.12
- "I love you so much. " - S
- Jun 04, 2019 - USD $ 69.17
- "Vir my spesiale meisiekind - gestuur met baie liefde" - Bernice
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 203.00
- "This may help you to see words and things, but I hope you see how beautiful you are too!" - Tara
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "I really hope this helps you live the life that you deserve!" - Anonymous
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 100.00
- "All my love TanTan ??" - Marilize
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Really worthy cause for a worthy person! " - Anonymous