Thank the Medics
- By: Yenziwe Mongameli
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/thank-the-medics
My name is Yenziwe Ngema and I am 34 years old.
I am originally from KZN, but I currently work at Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto, where I specialize in Orthopaedic Surgery.
The thing that most people would say about me is that I have boundless energy and enthusiasm, and I don’t really let things get me down.
That being said, the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has been devastating for our beautiful country and daunting for the medical practitioners, such as myself, who have braved the frontline, putting their lives at risk to ensure the safety of our people.
With the tremendous strain and increasing expectations placed on our healthcare workers, it is understandable that I and many of my colleagues across the country are experiencing low morale, depression and high-stress levels.
Working through the pandemic, we have gotten used to the feeling of chaos, disorganisation and the emotional and physical toll isolation takes on the human spirit.
One thing we aren't accustomed to is hearing thank you.
Whenever and wherever I can, my aim is always to spread hope and love. For that reason, I am supporting the Thank the Medics initiative, to thank the thankless, our wonderful medics across South Africa.
Those two words, “thank you” can make a world of difference. It shows that we value the commitment or our healthcare professionals and appreciate the sacrifices they have gone through.
With funds raised by my crowdfunding campaign, I hope to thank our health care workers nationwide, by gifting them with two R250 vouchers, one to be gifted and one to be given to those who have also bravely fought the COVID-19 pandemic alongside our medics.
Beneficiaries will be selected at random by BackaBuddy, using Vula Mobile’s database of doctors, nurses, ambulance workers and paramedics across South Africa.
To qualify for a voucher, please register on Vula Mobile here
Thank Your Medics: How to get involved:
- Set up your own crowdfunding campaign to #ThankTheMedics in your area
- Share the #ThankTheMedics campaign on Social Media!
- #ThankTheMedics by dropping off a coffee, baking a cake, volunteering your time or offering a kind message of support!
- Make a donation via Snapscan
- Nov 20, 2020 - R 528.75
- "This is so amazing! Thank you." - Laurel
- Sep 23, 2020 - R 528.75
- "Thank you" - Lesego
- Sep 10, 2020 - R 600.00
- "Siyabonga ngokuzimisela kwenu" - Lindokuhle Surgery
- Sep 07, 2020 - R 2 000.00
- "God will reward your selflessness " - Ngema- Bluff
- Sep 06, 2020 - R 211.50
- "Just to say thank you..." - Anon
- Sep 05, 2020 - R 105.75
- "Thank you for your dedication and passion. Much appreciated " - D T Ngwenya
- Sep 04, 2020 - R 211.50
- "Thank you Mainini " - Taku&Nyasha
Thank the Medics Cause
The #ThankTheMedics campaign was started by Dr Rufaro and Dr Yenzi to thank Medics across South Africa who have bravely fought the COVID-19 pandemic.
For all you have done for the people of South Africa, It's OUR turn to #ThankTheMedics
- Thank you for giving us hope to drown out our fears in uncertainty and chaos.
- Thank you for looking after our loved ones when we couldn't be there to hold their hands.
- Thank you for every recovery.
- Thank you for working tirelessly to keep us safe.
- Thank you for every kind gesture.
- Thank you for every sacrifice.
- Thank you to those who lost their lives fighting this invisible enemy.
- Thank you for going above the call of duty.
- Thank you to ALL our unsung masked heroes in white capes
Launch your own campaign to #ThankTheMedics in your area here.