The Fasted Fat Fuelled Freedom Run
- By: Sam Bell
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/the-fasted-fat-fuelled-freedom-run
- Date Created: 20 January 2021
R 18 793
R 23 352
The Fasted Fat Fuelled Freedom Run is a project undertaken to show the human body is adequately fuelled by fat and does not require carbohydrates as a fuel source. In order to prove this, a handful of runners undertake to run 160km over the course of five days in a fasted state. The 8 participants are volunteers, funding their own transport, accommodation and expenses.
We will start at Vredenburg Life Hospital on 23 April 2021 and finish at Milnerton Flea Market on Freedom Day 27 April 2021. Our base camp is !Khwa ttu, a heritage centre and museum near Darling, where visitors can pop in or stay overnight and learn about the San - one of the last hunter-gatherer societies left on earth. The runners will be shuttled to their respective starting points each day and return to !Khwa ttu every evening.
Our fast will commence as we finish our last meal at 3pm on 22 April, the day before we start the event. Our next meal will be on day 5 after we have completed 160km. We will consume water, tea, coffee, and mineral supplements for the duration of the 5-day event. In effect, no calories will be consumed, therefore running in a completely fasted state, only burning our body fat for fuel.
We aim to demonstrate the following:
- Participants have stable glucose levels throughout the 5 days.
- Nutritional ketosis does not lead to ketoacidosis.
- Fat stores provide enough energy in ketogenic-adapted individuals to complete the event without hitting the wall.
- Participants will experience improved mood, mental clarity and focus.
The University of the Western Cape has secured funding and equipment to document the physiological impact on blood lipids, blood glucose and fat oxidation in the participants.
Extract from the University of the Western Cape study proposal:
“The effect of exercising in a fasted state on the body’s metabolic responses to prolonged fasting and exercise remains a controversial topic of investigation that continues to be intensively investigated. Therefore, the aim of the study is to investigate the effect of prolonged fasting on endurance exercise.”
To maximise the research opportunity, further funding is required to measure critical hormone fluctuations in the participants. Your sponsorship will go towards as many of the outstanding tests listed below.
Proposed tests for: 3 blood draws per day over 5 days for 8 participants
Test 1 LIPOGRAM (FASTING) Funded by UWC
Test 2 HDL CHOLESTEROL-S Funded by UWC
Test 3 TOTAL CHOLESTEROL-S Funded by UWC
Test 4 LDL CHOLESTEROL (MEASURED)-S Funded by UWC
Test 5 TRIGLYCERIDE-S Funded by UWC
Test 6 INSULIN (FASTING) R23,352.00 required
Test 7 CORTISOL RANDOM – S R23,352.00 required
Test 8 TESTOSTERONE – TOTAL R23,352.00 required
Test 9 GROWTH HORMONE R23,352.00 required
Test 10 GLUCAGON R29,196.00 required
Test 11 CATECHOLAMINES
(Adrenaline, Noradrenaline) R153,768.00 required
Why is this study important? According to a recent article in Business Day, there are approximately 4.5 million South Africans with Type 2 Diabetes, and another estimated 2 million South Africans who don’t know they have Type 2 Diabetes. We aim to demonstrate that exercising in a fasted state is safe, without the presence of carbohydrates. We believe cutting carbohydrates improves the ability to control blood glucose, leading to a much better quality of life. This research will save lives.
Meet the participants here www.fastedfatfuelledfreedomrun.com
Barry Andrews Marius Bezuidenhout
Etienne Smit Mike Summers
Heidi Everett Sam Bell
Karsten Vollmer Shaun Waso
Add your voice to the project, sponsor us here. Contributions exceeding R 5,000 will be published on our website and in our media initiatives. All proceeds will be managed by Back-A-Buddy and all payments for the event will be recorded for auditing purposes.
Back-A-Buddy campaign link https://www.backabuddy.co.za/the-fasted-fat-fuelled-freedom-run
Many kind regards
- Apr 22, 2021 - R 500.00 Fees covered
- "Go Shaun!!!" - Thelene
- Apr 21, 2021 - R 200.00 Fees covered
- "Sterkte Marius!" - Wilma
- Apr 18, 2021 - USD $ 100.00
- "Go Shaun and team!! Best of luck!" - Cherez Tschopp
- Apr 17, 2021 - USD $ 32.50
- "Good luck everyone!" - Kat
- Apr 13, 2021 - USD $ 25.00
- "Good luck to all" - Pete
- Mar 30, 2021 - R 5 000.00
- "Good Luck all !!!" - Chris Goslin
- Mar 15, 2021 - R 7 200.00
- "Great Initiative, looking forward to the outcome." - Nicky E.
- Feb 22, 2021 - R 200.00
- "You can do it my Sammy Belly. You're an amazing inspiration." - Ildiko Hegyi
- Feb 10, 2021 - USD $ 72.76 Fees covered
- "Go Sam!!! If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you." - Michelle
- Feb 09, 2021 - R 500.00
- "Just keep walking, jogging, running sister Sam" - Nicky
- Feb 09, 2021 - USD $ 14.15 Fees covered
- "Happy Birthday Sam! Go get em! " - Kamin
- Feb 09, 2021 - R 500.00
- "Doing the race and showing my commitment " - Barry
- Feb 08, 2021 - R 800.00
- "R5 per kilometer sponsored! Go team! " - Shaun
- Feb 06, 2021 - R 350.00 Fees covered
- "Keep up the good work!" - Heidi
- Feb 03, 2021 - R 200.00 Fees covered
- "Putting my money where my mouth is ;)" - Sam Bell