The Minpin Project
- By: Stella Meldau
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/the-minpin-project
In Rescue highs and positives are our motivating factor to keep us inspired to move in one direction FORWARD. Our ACTA NON VERBA philosophy, coupled with 30 odd years of being in the game (not to mention our ages) have probably been a key factor in affording us perhaps to become immune to the feelings of MAN. Our focus is to try to save as many ANIMALS, that cross our paths, as possible. Of course, we have limitations and STAFF SALARIES AND SPACE that place enormous constraints and burdens on us from WANTING TO DO MORE! On learning of the dilemma of the 22 min pins (Miniature Pinschers) on Monday, that genuinely had nowhere to go to, we immediately got our backs up. Our initial reaction was defiantly, NO, WE ARE SERIOUSLY FULL! These animals still have a voice and are not the TRUE rescue Woodrock is notorious for.
How stupid could the family be! Surely, they would have known better so as to get their pets sterilised! There are facilities available that give assistance. Not to mention, how ignorant were these people in the first place for putting these dogs’ wellbeing at risk by allowing gross inter-breeding! It’s a Rescuers prerogative to judge and rant and rave, considering what we have seen over the years. We cannot be judge and jury before doing a proper assessment.
"There's a story behind every person. There's a reason they are the way they are. Think about that before you judge someone."
- The dogs were loved; the 70 year-old couple sobbed when sending off their babies
- All of the dogs were in reasonable condition; barring 2 (1 had been in a fight and required urgent medical attention/the other had a severe eye infection.)
- Each dog was lovingly named.
- Every one of them slept indoors on the beds and were fed and hydrated.
- The old couple started off with 4 dogs and the situation simply went pear-shaped.
- The old couple have lost everything, including their fur-children.
- The old couple have been evicted without notice.
- The dogs no longer had a voice…. All avenues had been exhausted to no concrete avail, except NON-pro-life shelters, which they believed was a “final solution.”
At times, life can be so overwhelming that we don’t always do the right thing. Ignorance and poverty
dragged the couple down to abject apathy. We don’t always understand or identify with these
conditions as we cut people down who “Should Have, Would Have, Could have, But did nothing!”
And in the final count down, when all odds were stacked against them, they humbled themselves and put out a plea for help. They didn’t try to sell their babies for money desperately needed. The sadness was real, on all accounts.
Yelling and screaming in Stella’s Style (co- founder of Woodrock) was never going to change anything. And where would it get us? With Noel’s (Head Caregiver) gentleness and Nicholas’s (co-founder of Woodrock) reasoning and words of encouragement, they agreed to surrender for the goodwill of their BABIES and we removed each and every one of the 22!! They were both broken souls and openly sobbed. We felt their pain (animal and human welfare are tightly linked).
Poverty can make us do awful things to our animals. We all know how easy it is to judge. We do it
daily in the world of rescue. In the final count down this was not a case of breeding for money. Sadly,
it was a simple couple who did nothing to stop the inter-breeding. We know and understand that this is a form of animal abuse. We all have an opinion. Naturally, we all want to post our words of wisdom. Were we to do nothing if “Together we can do so much more.” Helen Keller
We decided to bite the bullet and stretch ourselves just that much further. To extend ourselves...
This time with an open heart and an open hand. To all our supporters and to the greater animal loving community, we ask but not for us. Please, if you are able to contribute in some way to the needs of this Cause: “THE WOODROCK MIN PINS” It’s difficult for us to ask so openly. We need you now more than ever. Our bills (that we have no budget for), to get these babies into an adoptable state, are enormous (medical checks, de-fleaing, de-worming, inoculating – full house, steriliation, holding costs, rehabilitation, the list continues)
Please help? Any bit will count!
- Sep 12, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "THANK YOU Woodrock for all that you do ? " - Hayley
- Sep 10, 2018 - R 510.00
- "Hope they each find a good loving home. xxx" - Jacky
- Sep 07, 2018 - R 2 000.00
- "Bless you and those precious min pins. I lost my beautiful min pin 5 years ago, he was the highlight of my life. Hope this helps." - Vanessa Davies
- Sep 07, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Carry on the good work" - Jurg Peter Mehr
- Sep 07, 2018 - R 510.00
- "Thanks once again for helping all the voiceless animals, you guys are Angels! My little rescue from Woodrock has brought our home such love and happiness." - Pat Taylor
- Sep 06, 2018 - USD $ 13.63
- "Thanks for taking the doggies in" - Michelle
- Sep 06, 2018 - USD $ 681.83
- "The selfless work you guys do is truly amazing, thanks for caring" - Love Paws
- Sep 05, 2018 - R 510.00
- "You are heros" - Helen
- Sep 05, 2018 - R 514.10
- "I really hope this will help you and them on their way to a happy family once more!" - Denielle Smith
Woodrock Animal Rescue
Woodrock Animal Rescue provide assistance to unfortunate, homeless, abused, neglected, stray, injured, ill, geriatric and unwanted animals. Our motto is ACTA NON VERBA – Action not Words. We dream of a medical clinic on our premises to treat and sterilize rescue animals that come into our care. Read more about our #woodrockclinicdream at http://www.woodrockanimalrescue.com/our-clinic-dream.html. We are proudly a voice for the voiceless!
To set up your own fundraising page for Woodrock Animal Rescue click here