- By: Sean Routledge & Xavier Saer
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/thirsty-land
We are 2 guys who wanted to use their skills to help those in need. And this time it meant that we'd be traveling to Namibia to film a documentary to give the Himba people a platform to show their struggles.
We were invited by a few Himba communities in the Kunene Region in north-western Namibia, to show the rest of the world the difficulties they encounter due to water scarcity.
From this we've filmed a documentary to show exactly how tough it really is for these communities to go about their day-to-day lives, without access to clean, running water.
We would like to use this platform to raise money which would be used to build solutions that were recommended by the leaders of the community.
We don't have a time-frame as we would like to raise as much money as possible. However the sooner we are able to raise enough funds, the sooner we can help the communities live a better life.
There is a great source of water within close proximity to a lot of the surrounding communities. The issue with this area is that it is unsafe for cattle to travel to.
We are raising funds to install a generator here which will be used to pump water up to water tanks, which can then be used to supply drinking troughs for the animals as well as supply drinking water to the people.
This area also needs to be secured via fences as to stop the animals from making their way down to the water source as there have been many cases of animals falling to their deaths or becoming seriously injured here.
With the remaining funds, we would like to install air-to-water generators in the local school and at the homesteads where the people live. Because the location of the best water source is unsafe, many of the people in the communities opt to look elsewhere for water. Now water is extremely scarce in the Kunene Region, so this means that many km's are walked each day to other water sources which are barely able to supply just one herd of cattle. This causes rifts and disagreements between communities.
By having a steady supply of ample amounts of water, everyone is able to travel less and quench all of their cattle's thirsts, ultimately bringing the community back together.
*Funds raised will be transferred directly to the supplier*.
- Aug 03, 2019 - R 205.64
- "It's sad to see what some people will go through for something that should be a basic human right, and that many people take for granted." - Anonymous
- Aug 02, 2019 - USD $ 1.72
- "<3" - Anonymous
- Aug 02, 2019 - USD $ 1.72
- "Thank you for your beautiful project <3" - Anonymous
- Jul 31, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Good luck!" - graemeoswald
- Jul 30, 2019 - R 510.00
- "Thank you for taking the time and using your skills to create social impact!" - Aaron
- Jul 30, 2019 - USD $ 70.42
- "We wish we had more to give! Bless you both for your work!" - Trish Brown and family from Newcastle, Australia
- Jul 29, 2019 - R 1 015.00
- "Amazing project. Hope this gets you closer to your goal and others help as well" - Anonymous
- Jul 29, 2019 - R 616.92
- "Thank you for bringing awareness to the difficult issues these communities are facing. " - Anonymous
- Jul 29, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Everyone deserves the right to these basic needs" - Anonymous