CIMT Treatment For Thomas
- By: Rosa de Beer
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/thomas-robinson
Hi, my name is Rosa de Beer and live in Centurion (Pretoria).
This is a fundraiser for a beautiful boy in the UK called Thomas.
I have been following his journey on Facebook and I also had the privilege of meeting Thomas and his family last year November.
Not many of us can say we have met our Superhero.
Well, I did... A little boy named Thomas.
And he absolutely stole my heart.
Thomas is the most beautiful brown eyed boy I ever did see, but Thomas has fought to be here today.
Let me tell you a little more about Thomas.
Thomas is a 20-month-old little boy who had a stroke one week after birth that left him with a significant brain injury to the left side of his brain.. he has right side hemiplegia a form of CP!
Thomas is developing very well!
He's a little chatter box and his movement is coming on loads! BUT he can't use his right arm...
Thomas has been accepted into a programme called CIMT (Movement For Life).
This treatment, however, is very costly, this is why we are raising money for the CIMT treatment. Not having use of his right arm means Thomas can't crawl, he cannot support any weight through his arm. He can't participate in tasks that use both hands.
He's started to now use his feet instead of trying to use arm and hand.
Thomas does have some movement in his arm and we believe that with this course he could have a lot more!
This programme could help him be the active boy he is supposed to be, to live his life to his full potential.
For people reading posts wondering why Thomas has so many lines and tubes coming out of him, it's because Thomas has rare kidney condition - CNS. In the next couple of months, Thomas will start dialysis whilst he waits to grow big enough for a new kidney.
Please help me, help Thomas.
Thank you for taking the time to read Thomas's story.
Breakdown of costs:
CIMT Assessment and Report* £250.00 +/- (R5000)
CIMT 4 Week Programme
CIMT Therapist £110.00 per session x 60 Total £6,600.00
+/- (R132 000)
CIMT Assistant £25.00 per session x 60 Total £1,500.00
+/- (R30 000)
Cast Materials £50.00 per cast material x 4 Total £200.00
Report and Recommendations £200.00
Review Appointment £240.00
This is what your donation could do for Thomas, and how you could be a part of this life-changing experience for him.
What is Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy?
Constraint-induced movement therapy (CIMT) is a unique treatment approach used for rehabilitation of the upper limb (arm/hand) following neurological damage. It is common for children affected by hemiplegia to develop a tendency not to use their weaker arm, which can lead to learned non-use or in some cases neglect of the weaker arm. CIMT aims to increase the amount of use and quality of movement of the weaker arm by following an intense treatment programme developed by researchers in the USA. The treatment programme works by producing ‘rewiring’ of the brain; this means that a larger part of the brain becomes active when producing movement of the weaker arm. Using a cast to restrain the stronger arm alongside targeted therapy aimed at increasing awareness and use of the weaker arm stimulates the formation of new pathways for movement. It is this repetitive use over a relatively short period of time, which produces lasting change once the cast is removed. This programme is underpinned by several research studies that have proven benefits, particularly for adults following a stroke and children with hemiplegia.
All donations will be paid into a PayPal account created by his mommy Jamie Leigh for Thomas's CIMT treatment.
- Oct 12, 2019 - USD $ 35.62
- "Keep on fighting. " - Tania
- Aug 08, 2019 - R 500.00
- "Sending you light and love little one" - Shanitha
- Aug 04, 2019 - USD $ 63.96
- "I hope you get the treatment. You deserve it." - Sue
- Aug 01, 2019 - USD $ 74.28
- "Your strenght and willpower inspire me everyday. Where theres a will, there is a way. Perhaps tomorrow if not today." - Ruby
- Aug 01, 2019 - R 253.75
- "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop" - Carel
- Jul 31, 2019 - R 500.00
- "To the lil superhero who keeps us smiling, wilhe his is fighting. You go for Gold my boy. <3 <3 " - Lientjie Herholdt
- Jul 31, 2019 - R 507.50
- "never stop believing " - Suzette
- Jul 30, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Helping a little fighter to fight this fight" - Jolandi
- Jul 27, 2019 - USD $ 44.21
- "You deserve to live a life that lights you up." - Jacobus
- Jul 26, 2019 - USD $ 22.40
- "Hope you get the treatment you need beautiful boy." - Wilma
- Jul 26, 2019 - R 308.46
- "I hope you get the treatment you deserve xxx" - Anonymous
- Jul 25, 2019 - R 507.50
- "Inspiring story I hope they can get you this treatment" - Anonymous
- Jul 25, 2019 - R 257.05
- "I Agree you are destined for great things. I hope my donation helps a little" - Sarie
- Jul 25, 2019 - R 110.00
- "This Hero deserves it" - Petrus
- Jul 22, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Superheroes dreams should also come true" - Sam
- Jul 21, 2019 - R 203.00
- "Thomas, Let's get you this treatment." - Bianca
- Jul 19, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Hope mythos helps" - Lauren
- Jul 17, 2019 - USD $ 36.05
- "You deserve everything good coming your way.?????" - Ruby
- Jul 17, 2019 - USD $ 7.58
- "Hope you get this treatment" - Diane
- Jul 17, 2019 - USD $ 14.42
- "You deserve this treatment" - Kobus
- Jul 17, 2019 - R 514.10
- "#TheBoyWhoStoleMyHeart " - Rosa