Two Bara Radiologists Climb Kilimanjaro for Breast Health
- By: Tebogo Hlabangana and Su Lucas
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/two-bara-radiologists-climb-kilimanjaro-fo
We are two radiologists who will climb Kilimanjaro in October 2015 to raise funds for the Breast Health Foundation (BHF).
Dr Tebogo Hlabangana and Dr Su Lucas are the Head of the Radiology Department and the Head of the Breast Imaging Unit respectively, both at Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital in Soweto, Johannesburg. We are also both proud to be staff members of the Wits Faculty of Health Sciences and are actively involved in teaching and research.
Tebogo has waited 18 years for the opportunity to complete this bucket list item and Su is ready to really push the limits of what she thinks she can do!
The BHF is a section 21 company, established in April 2002, whose goals are to educate the public on breast cancer and breast health, to increase breast cancer awareness and to empower women.
Breast cancer is a topic which is very close to our hearts. As radiologists, we have worked in Mammography for a combined 31 years, and have seen the difference patient education can make in aiding early diagnosis. Most importantly, early diagnosis saves lives. We have been involved with the BHF since its inception in 2002, and they are an organisation which is also close to our hearts.
The BHF take breast education to the people. They are a team of extremely dedicated women, all of whom are breast cancer survivors. Not only do they educate patients and nursing staff about breast health awareness in general and breast cancer specifically, they also form an integral part of the breast care team, counselling patients after they have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
Although South Africa has yet to institute the national breast screening program which we would so love to see, we give our wholehearted support to the excellent work of the BHF. Their function is completely dependent on donations, and this fundraising Kilimanjaro adventure is a part we can play in helping them to continue with their work.
Any contribution which you would like to make to help the Breast Health Foundation support many more people through their breast health challenges will be greatly appreciated.
Warmest regards from Tebogo and Su
- Nov 06, 2015 - R 500.00
- "Well done to both of you! C" - Dibuseng
- Oct 29, 2015 - R 500.00
- "We're super inspired and can't wait to see your pics. What an amazing thing to do Tebs!! All the best animal God go ahead of you" - Mbangwas
- Oct 25, 2015 - R 500.00
- "Good luck!" - Kathleen Jacobs
- Oct 23, 2015 - R 200.00
- "Well done ladies" - Hameline
- Oct 22, 2015 - R 1 000.00
- "have fun ladies " - Naledi Maboane
- Oct 21, 2015 - USD $ 38.00
- "What an adventure you are about to embark on! Have fun!" - Monica
- Oct 18, 2015 - R 200.00
- "We're proud of you. We wish you strength, courage and tenacity in Jesus name. Love Mike&B" - The Ilungas
- Oct 18, 2015 - R 1 000.00
- "I know you can do this Tebs" - Ngcakani Family
- Oct 18, 2015 - R 500.00
- "Up the mountain, you go girls" - Thabo&Priscilla; Hlabangana
- Oct 15, 2015 - R 200.00
- "You can do it!" - Victor Mngomezulu
- Oct 14, 2015 - R 500.00
- "Go Team Impilenhle!!!! Super Awesome" - Ncebs
- Oct 09, 2015 - R 1 000.00
- "Go girls!" - Marianne
- Oct 01, 2015 - R 1 000.00
- "Keep walking.." - Maureen Kgalaeng
- Sep 28, 2015 - R 1 000.00
- "Ain't no mountain high enough. You ladies are amazing" - Zandile
- Sep 28, 2015 - R 2 000.00
- "All the best, we are behind you 100%!" - Abraham and the 3 Tshili princesses
- Sep 25, 2015 - R 1 000.00
- "Super proud of you, wishing you all the best." - The Tlales
- Sep 23, 2015 - R 1 000.00
- "Behind you all the way (spiritually not the hard climbing part)!" - Kim Shepherd
- Sep 22, 2015 - R 1 000.00
- "Good luck! " - Liam Lorentz