Two Oceans Ultra Marathon for Child Headed Households!
- By: Noah Schermbrucker
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/two-oceans-for-child-headed-households
People's Environmental Planning, in partnership with Habitat for Humanity South Africa & Baphumelele Waldorf Association have teamed up to provide critical upgrades to the homes of orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) in Khayelitsha, and to help them, I am going to run the Old Mutual 2 Oceans Ultra Marathon!
Baphumelele supports around 30 homes all around Khayelitsha by providing them with food, education & work experience, emotional support, health-care & legal assistance. Baphumelele also tries to provide the families with safe and comfortable housing. Mama Rosie, the founder of Baphumelele, was nominated last year as one of CNN's Top 10 Heroes (in the world!) thanks to the incredible work that she does every day in her community.
People's Environmental Planning & Habitat for Humanity SA have been drawn into the project to provide socio-technical assistance and to implement upgrades to those homes that are vulnerable to flooding, excessive temperatures and/or any other unsafe living conditions.
Depending on the condition and local environment of the homes, they have been upgraded with :
• A new waterproof concrete floor slab, that lifts them off the wet ground and keeps them dry.
• Insulating wool and boarding has been installed to the walls to help regulate interior temperatures. (In Cape Town's climate you can fry an egg on sheet metal)
• Galvanized sheet metal has been added to the exterior of the home to reduce leaks and drafts.
• Exterior painting to increase reflectivity, thereby reducing interior temperature
• Security gates & window bar added for safety.
If together I am able to raise just R4 700, we will be able to sponsor all the materials and labour to provide a home with a floor slab, which will be much needed for the coming winter.
If we are able to raise R9 900, we could also fit the home with insulation, to keep the residents warm at night and the home cool in the day.
The more that I raise, the more upgrades that we can implement in more homes, and in the end provide more children with needed support, so that they can get more from their home!
Together, we can provide these children with a hope-filled future. It starts with a home.
- Mar 31, 2018 - USD $ 8.89
- "Go Gup!" - Lyn
- Mar 25, 2018 - USD $ 8.96
- "Love" - Dimi
- Mar 23, 2018 - R 102.82
- "When your legs are burning and your mind is giving up.... I'll remind of the children ;)" - Jono
- Mar 22, 2018 - USD $ 17.81
- "Godspeed!" - Louise Perkins
- Mar 22, 2018 - R 359.87
- "good luck Noah!" - Simon
- Feb 20, 2018 - R 510.00
- "Good luck! " - Catherine
- Feb 19, 2018 - USD $ 21.04
- "Good Luck Noah" - Claire
- Feb 19, 2018 - R 205.64
- "Great work " - Robyn
- Feb 19, 2018 - USD $ 42.93
- "Good luck in the marathon :) what a great cause, I hope you inspire many along the way! " - Gabe
- Feb 09, 2018 - R 205.64
- "Twayne, smash it! " - Rompie
- Feb 08, 2018 - R 622.71
- "Thank you for doing great things Noah - proud cousin over here!" - Talia Wurtzel
- Feb 08, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Nice one Twayne" - Bapu
People's Environmental Planning
PEP is a not-for-profit organisation that has supported organised communities in informal settlements around South Africa since mid 1998. Shawn Cuff (a qualified architect) established PEP to provide socio-technical housing assistance to the South African Homeless People’s Federation and subsequently the Federation of the Urban Poor (FEDUP).