Protect the People You Love with the oGGie Respirator
- By: Ingrid Wormsbacher
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/uhambo-foundation-oggie-respirator
Introducing the OggieAir1, our full face personal respirator, designed specifically to protect those most at risk. Shonaquip Social Enterprise is a trusted, established, certified manufacturer of Class A medical devices (SAHPRA) for the past 30 years.
In answer to the worldwide shortage of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), Shonaquip Social Enterprise have developed a locally available full-face personal respirator based on a design from the Southampton University Trust tested in the UK National Health System to protect front line workers, children and adults with disabilities and vulnerable patients against COVID-19. Help us manufacture the first live-saving OggieAir1 Personal Respirators by donating to this Backabuddy Campaign.
The OggieAir1 improves on limitations of existing PPE (including comfort, waste, and availability) and importantly, provides a clear visor to ensure that vulnerable patients, children or clients with disabilities are able to see the full face of the wearer which is calming, and also increases the ability to communicate, lip read, and show facial expressions. For technical specifications and more information on our product, please visit https://shonaquip.co.za/
We have designed this product to be inclusive in multiple ways:
From the team who is employed to make it to the actual design, which takes into account people with hearing impairments, intellectual or learning impairments, physical disabilities and vulnerable groups like children and elderly with dementia.
Who we are:
Shonaquip Social Enterprise has been fighting for 30 years to remove barriers to inclusion for children with disabilities. The overwhelming barriers and emergencies presented by COVID-19 are highlighting existing issues of inequality for people with disabilities in our world, and our teams have taken on these new challenges with renewed energy, to keep fighting for equality.
What we need:
We are raising R 365 000 towards:
- Making the first 20 OggieAir1 full-face respirators available at cost price
- Continue to refine the design for OggieAir2 which will include certification for the hood, and further field testing
How to get involved:
- Donate to our BackaBuddy campaign and spread the word – every amount counts!
- Donate over RXXXEURXXX to qualify to pre-order an OggieAir1 Personal Respirator at cost price (est R4000).
- Consider sponsoring an OggieAir 1 to a frontline worker in South Africa.
The OggieAir1 is based on a design from the Southampton University Trust tested in the UK National Health System for more information follow the link: https://youtu.be/t3yVrU19idg
For Technical specifications and more information about Shonaquip Social Enterprise, go to https://shonaquip.co.za/
- Jun 17, 2020 - R 210.00
- "God bless your work!" - Lida von Wielligh
- May 31, 2020 - USD $ 105.50
- "Amazing work!! " - Richie Sapp
- May 27, 2020 - USD $ 21.95
- "Great initiative, the best of luck!" - Anonymous
- May 27, 2020 - R 1 050.00
- "Shona, sending every blessing for this deserving initiative. Well done!" - Lydia Anderson
- May 26, 2020 - R 1 050.00
- "A great initiative" - Christopher Henshilwood
- May 23, 2020 - R 105.00
- "Congratulations Shonaquip! Excited with you for all our health workers " - Helen Adendorff
- May 20, 2020 - USD $ 55.00
- "Best of luck with this endeavor!" - Anonymous
- May 16, 2020 - USD $ 102.13
- "Thank you for your service to these incredible carers and those whom they serve!" - Mindy Phung
- May 15, 2020 - USD $ 19.76
- "good luck " - Anonymous
- May 15, 2020 - R 1 050.00
- "good luck" - Esta
- May 14, 2020 - R 2 100.00
- "Wishing you all the best" - Michele B
- May 14, 2020 - USD $ 10.92
- "Pioneering as always - with the needs clearly in focus!" - John
- May 14, 2020 - USD $ 28.80
- "Especially valuable for people working with children, persons with disabilities or the elderly who suffer from dementia" - SMM
- May 14, 2020 - R 105.00
- ":)" - Ingrid
- May 13, 2020 - R 10 000.00
- "good luck" - SkyCo