Help Lea raise Victor the street-rescue dog
- By: Lea Coetzee
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/victor
Hi, my name is Lea Coetzee. I'm a 32 year old woman living with my elderly parents in Cape Town, South Africa. I co-own and run a small graphic design / website development business from home. Although my business is promising for the future, we are still in early stages and do not have much extra money to spend. I'm also involved in local community work with women in street prostitution. In addition, I've started a side business making and selling Turkish Delight, to try and provide more comfortably for Victor.
I'm raising money to help me provide for my unexpected street-rescue dog, Victor.
Please watch the short, 2 minute video above for the brief back story of Victor the rescue dog, or find it on YouTube at this link.
I was not planning on adopting a dog right now, although I wanted to do so in the future. Victor came into my life very unexpectedly, and I had no choice but to take him in. Please see the short 2-minute video for the back-story.
It is my wish to continue to be able to provide for and raise Victor, although the truth is that I can't afford him. Since having him I have worked so hard that my own health has started to suffer. If you want to see how your donation is helping, check out Victor's Facebook page for the latest updates.
It may seem like my target amount for donations is rather high, but if you see the cost breakdown below and calculate the numbers, you will see that it is a reasonable and even modest amount to set aside for Victor's care. If many people donate only a little each, we can reach this goal together. All funds raised on this platform will go into a sattelite bank account set aside specifically for Victor's care.
Since having Victor, he has already greatly surpassed the average weight for a an adult male American Pitbull terrier, and he's still growing! He weighed in at 46kgs at 9/10 months. At this stage, our conclusion is that he is a Pitbull / Mastiff (Boerboel) cross. This makes him an extreme 'power' breed. Because of this, rehoming him would be difficult due to the risks associated with his breed, as well as his above average energy and exercise needs. Besides that, he has bonded with me and my parents, as we have with him. We love him as our family dog. The circumstances are good for him here since the yard is large and there is usually at least one or two of us home most days. But owning, raising and training him is a big responsibility that cannot be taken lightly.
The funds raised here will go towards:
1. Replenishing my depleted emergency funds spent on Victor's care up to now.
2. Veterinary care: continued routine and emergency veterinary care, his future neuter operation, continued vaccinations and microchip, and perhaps a monthly installment on pet medical aid. His veterinary care in the first month alone was close to R 3000.00. Victor is now on health insurance at R189 per month, which provides partial illess cover and full accident cover within certain limits. The plan does not cover routine visits and as such, will not cover his neuter operation which is to be done early in 2020.
3. His food: Victor eats 1kg of food a day. He has to be on veterinary grade puppy food until he is 2 years old. Good nutrition is extra important for him because he was starved at a crucial developmental stage. His food is priced at R680 per 20kgs, so that is R680 every 20 days.
4. Obedience training, behavioral support and socialization: Victor has been having weekly obedience classes. He will need continued training and behavioral support from professionals due to his anxiety issues caused by his past neglect. Because he is growing up to be a large, strong and intelligent dog, his training and obedience are of utmost importance and cannot be neglected. Victor completed basic behavioural training which included ways in which to boost his obedience, confidence and calmness. He will still need much more by way of socialization in the future.
5. Anxiety and nerve support remedies: We have found that using natural anxiety and nerve support supplements are yielding good results with Victor. His calmness needs to increase in order to maintain good health and development in him.
6. Bedding, equipment and toys: As any dog, Victor needs to be comfortable and entertained. Everything costs a bit more with him, because he is so large. (and still growing.)
Toys, bedding, chews and anxiety remedies in the first month have come close to a total of R2 000.00.
Please help me and Victor by donating towards his health and upkeep.
During this past month, Victor has been developing amazingly. With continued love, care and your support, he will go on to become a great doggo.
Thank you so much!
- Mar 11, 2020 - USD $ 13.23
- "Just felt it on my heart. Love u lots my friend" - Dorien
- Sep 21, 2019 - R 514.10
- "We too have been touched by amazing dogs hope Victor goes from strength to strength " - Gow family
- Sep 19, 2019 - USD $ 21.59
- "Looking forward to seeing Victor flourish" - Steve Hashman
- Sep 16, 2019 - USD $ 14.43
- "Hope this helps" - Lynda A
- Sep 14, 2019 - USD $ 10.86
- "Some love for Victor" - Dorien
- Sep 10, 2019 - R 205.64
- "All the best, Victor!" - Anonymous