Vultures take Flight
- By: Carmen Ellis
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/vultures-take-flight
The flight continues:
Two of our animal care team started off the long journey to VulPro located in Hartebeestpoort, North-West, South Africa last night!
The 1st leg of this journey includes taking our two Cape Vulture boys (whom Delano spent 48 hours with this past weekend) to VulPro - where they will form part of their breeding program, and hopefully, if all goes well with their rehabilitation, possible release back into the wild!
On the 2nd leg of the journey, we are picking up a Critically Endangered African-white-backed Vulture, as well as an Endangered Lappet-faced Vulture who will serve as educators and ambassadors for their species. Better news would be hard to find for a facility such as ours; we are so proud to be a part of both initiatives, which is finally becoming a reality!
Below is more information on how this project started a week ago when Delano spent 48 hours in the enclosure with our vultures.
With the recent National Vulture Awareness Day (1 September) still top of mind, and to honor to his departing boys; Delano has launched a 48 hour campaign to highlight the species. On Friday, 5 October, Delano joined the vultures in their enclosure for 2 whole days; enduring the scorching midday sun and the icy silent spring nights. Eating, sleeping and co-habitating. Delano also be spoke with passing tours to share teachings on the plights all whilst paying a farewell tribute to the birds that he has cared for every day for 4 years.
48 hours with his flock. A farewell amongst brothers.
This campaign is aimed to raise awareness on living in symbiosis with these sorely misunderstood scavengers. Delano proved that this is far from the truth and that sharing our planet is much easier than most would like to believe. Without vultures… pests would raid, disease would spread, our waters would become contaminated and the whole ecosystem would be compromised.
Let’s create a Vulture Culture!
- Oct 11, 2018 - R 728.48
- "Great job Delano and may the rise of the Vulture Culture continue!" - Lyanne Torres
- Oct 09, 2018 - R 50.00
- "Well done Delano" - Narinda
- Oct 08, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Good luck Delano & well done team!" - Andrew Eriksen
- Oct 07, 2018 - R 50.00
- "Vultures are the best and need to be protected! great initiative people!" - Garrett
- Oct 06, 2018 - R 50.00
- "CWR" - Tammy
- Oct 05, 2018 - USD $ 13.47
- "Go Delano. Say 'bye to the vultures from me, I remember making and retrieving their 'book' back in 2015. Much maligned creatures who prevent disease. " - Miss Tooty Fruity
- Oct 04, 2018 - USD $ 10.00
- "Go Delano!" - Emma P
- Oct 04, 2018 - USD $ 68.29
- "Still cherish our time at the ranch. ??" - Joy Davy
- Oct 04, 2018 - R 200.00
- "Amazing birds! " - Marie
- Oct 04, 2018 - R 100.00
- "Dankie Delano" - Carmen
- Oct 04, 2018 - R 100.00
- "Good luck Delano!" - Tammy Moult