- By: Olwethu Dlanga
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/walk-4-access
The #Walk4Access is a peaceful, student-led, and student developed initiative that aims to rally global citizens around the real burdens of the cost of higher education. Specifically, the initiative aims to raise awareness and funds to address the financial exclusion of students from disadvantaged backgrounds and to deal with issues of student hunger and housing.
It will be commenced on the 21st March 2019 (Human Right’s Day) and the students intend to conclude the route by the 10th April. The campaign will begin from Parliament precinct in Cape Town and will conclude at the Union Buildings where a memorandum will be handed over. This student-led initiative, as endorsed by the University of Pretoria management and the Student Representative Council (UPSRC) aims to draw all sectors of society into substantive and tangible support for a key foundational value – that of the importance of educating the nation.
The campaign aims to raise One Million South African Rands over the duration of the walk.
Our focus is on;
• Disadvantaged students
• Historically indebted students
We wish to appeal to all students especially at institutions of higher learning to stand in solidarity with the initiative while encouraging them and all South Africans to donate what they can for the duration of the walk, whilst corporates and the private sector are encouraged to extend their generosity.
The funds will be strictly allocated to registered and non-registered University of Pretoria students who are not covered by the Fee free education especially those who have been in the University between 2015 until 2017.
20% of the raised funds will be allocated to the financially excluded group of 2015, 2016 and 2017.
30% of same will go towards the Academic support
50% will cater for accommodation and feeding of the students.
Each student application will be reviewed on merit in consultation with the University.
Follow @walk4access on Facebook for updates
- Apr 19, 2019 - USD $ 35.56
- "Well done guys, may the funds go a long way to help students " - Anonymous
- Apr 10, 2019 - R 510.00
- "Strongs" - Louis and Joanne
- Apr 08, 2019 - R 514.10
- "What an inspiring and amazing initiative, well done. " - Elsa Botes
- Apr 08, 2019 - R 110.00
- "Well done and good luck." - Katarina Shuttleworth
- Apr 02, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Be blessed in this powerful project!" - David
- Apr 02, 2019 - R 210.00
- "Keep moving...keep going...we need you!" - Brenda
- Apr 01, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Well done guys, and God bless you on this tough journey and keep you strong " - Mkateko Precious Machabi
- Apr 01, 2019 - R 110.00
- "What an amazing initiative! " - Alexia
- Mar 28, 2019 - R 110.00
- "Truly inspiring " - Loraine S
- Mar 26, 2019 - R 50.00
- "Stay hydrated.. keep it moving. #KeepItMoving" - Sepuru
- Mar 26, 2019 - R 510.00
- "Keep going guys!" - Anon
- Mar 25, 2019 - R 20.00
- "I'm so proud of you for being the vessels of change, some whom I personally know" - charlottem
- Mar 25, 2019 - USD $ 1.38
- "#TeamSepuru" - Anon
- Mar 25, 2019 - R 100.00
- "What the team iss doing is life changing keep on doing good and blessings will follow. Love and light and strength be with you" - Lebohang Masiteng
- Mar 25, 2019 - R 102.82
- "You guys are an inspiration to us all! " - Tjeroane Phalane
- Mar 25, 2019 - R 154.23
- "Let's keep on pushing, history has no blank pages, you shall be remembered and celebrated for such bravery and selflessness ??" - Thabang Pikoko
- Mar 24, 2019 - R 50.75
- "Such an inspirational movement! Stay hydrated x" - Courtney Human
- Mar 24, 2019 - R 101.50
- "For the students" - Thulani
- Mar 24, 2019 - R 50.00
- "Keep going " - Kondi
- Mar 24, 2019 - R 102.82
- "You can never be as big as you can be until you attach yourself to a cause bigger than yourself.Thank you good Stewards " - ProudOfYou
- Mar 23, 2019 - R 20.56
- "I’m so proud of you guys! It takes an enormous amount of courage to do something like this" - Khalipha Mazibuko
- Mar 22, 2019 - R 200.00
- "You guys show what selfless spirit lies in the youth of SA. You are our hope, our future " - Quraysha
- Mar 22, 2019 - USD $ 7.03
- "Great initiative!" - Dalene Flynn
- Mar 22, 2019 - R 51.41
- "Good cause! " - Anonymous
- Mar 22, 2019 - USD $ 4.94
- "This project is amazing " - Moné Erasmus
- Mar 21, 2019 - R 2.06
- "This is simply selflessness, not every leader in the society possesses this characteristic" - Thabang Pikoko
- Mar 21, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Supporting a worthy cause for the right for everyone to access quality tertiary education." - Anonymous
Olwethu Dlanga Study Cause
#Walk4Access is a peaceful, student-led, and student developed initiative that aims to rally global citizens around the real burdens of the cost of higher education.
Specifically, the initiative aims to raise awareness and funds to address the financial exclusion of students from disadvantaged backgrounds and to deal with issues of student hunger and housing.