Watering The Mind
- By: John Dempster
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/watering-the-mind
Watering The Mind is a campaign to help raise awareness for mental health issues in South Africa through competing in one of the hardest ocean rowing races in the world. In December 2019, John Dempster will attempt to row solo across the Atlantic Ocean in the 2019 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge. John has partnered with The South Africa Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG) to help speak out about the mental health struggles that he has faced in his life, while hoping to inspire other South African’s to seek help for their own mental health issues.
To be able to complete this challenge of epic proportions, John will spend anywhere between 30 to 96 days on board a 26ft rowing boat! The challenge will test John's physical and mental endurance while he rows for 2 hours on, 2 hours off the entire time. John will be the youngest South African to ever attempt an Atlantic solo row by over 10 years!
In attempting to complete the Atlantic challenge, John hopes to break the stigma attached to people who have suffered from Mental Health issues in their life. To do this, John has partnered with the South African Depressions and Anxiety Group (SADAG) and their "Suicide Shouldn't Be A Secret" programme which aims to lower teenage suicide rates in SA by interacting and educating rural high schools. Suicide is the third highest cause of death in SA teenagers, accounting for a shocking 9.5% of all teenage deaths!
ANY DONATION SIZE IS WELCOME!
R1 200: This donation will go towards the Watering The Mind Cause, and will also go towards faciliating a Teen Suicide Prevention talk covering the cost of 10% of 1 talk**!
The Mindful Club
Donating R3 200 or more will make you eligible for the Mindful Club* where John will be rowing for a different person on each day of his crossing and sharing their story.
- R1600 of your donation will go towards funding a Teen Suicide Prevention talk
- The balance of your donation will go towards the rest the campaign
As part of the Mindful Club, you will get the following benefits:
- If you wish, you can nominate yourself or another willing person to have John row for them during his atlantic challenge and have him share the struggles that they have faced in their life! The nominated person can stay anonymous if they wish, only their issues and struggles will be shared! Or you can contact John for a list of willing nominees that SADAG will provide and nominate one of them instead!
- Your name and a personal message will be recorded in the boat cabin to remind John of all the individuals that have helped make this adventure possible.
- Your name, picture and message on the Mindful Club Honours Board (coming soon) on the WTM website.
- You and your nominee will get a social media shout out on our Facebook page.
*If you wish to join the Mindful Club, please send us your name, picture, message and nominee (or request a list of nominees) to email@example.com.
WATERING THE MIND
By: Braving Troubled Waters
**Each Teen Suicide Prevention talk is run for an entire school, class by class.
The South African Depression And Anxiety Group (SADAG) is the leading Mental Health charity in South Africa. Despite their gallant efforts Mental Health continues to have a massive stigma attached to it in South Africa, highlighted by the fact the less 2% of the country has access to secondary care. Through my campaign I’m hoping to bring further awareness to Mental Health by showing what is still possible for those who suffer from issues. I’m also fundraising to help SADAG’s drives to curb teen suicide in South Africa through their “Suicide Shouldn’t be a Secret” programme.
- Feb 14, 2019 - USD $ 37.45
- "Onwards and upwards" - Marcelle Stastny
- Feb 08, 2019 - R 1 218.00
- "Good luck John - wishing you the best from SCB (Michael's colleagues)" - Richard L
- Feb 07, 2019 - R 205.64
- "You've got this Jono. All our love " - D Pugh
- Jan 26, 2019 - R 507.50
- "You're a champ! Such an inspiring story and great message. Best of luck, will be supporting you the whole way! " - Lauren Simpson
- Jan 18, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Happy birthday. I am so proud of you x" - Zilla
- Jan 16, 2019 - R 5 141.00
- "So proud of you Runt! " - Megan Dempster
Donations to dateR 23 726.30
Fundraising targetR 500 000.00
Funds raised offlineR 15 100.00 Donate
Watering the Mind Cause
Watering The Mind is a campaign to help raise awareness for mental health issues in South Africa through competing in one of the hardest ocean rowing races in the world. In December 2019, John Dempster will attempt to row solo across the Atlantic Ocean in the 2019 Talisker Whiskey Atlantic Challenge.
Please Help Us Spread The Word: