Private Prosecution Cybercrime
- By: Zen Williams
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/zen-williams
- Date Created: 31 January 2023
R 10 443
R 150 000
Here is Zen's story:
My name is Zen Williams. I am also the founder of Rise Against Domestic Violence SA (Rise), an organisation that has assisted thousands of male and female survivors of domestic violence.
I am a survivor of cybercrime and domestic abuse.
A website was built and published with very sensitive and private information about my life, including information about my family and friends.
This website destroyed my life and isolated me from everyone I knew, including my little children.
The website had intimate content and a horrifying biography where photographs and videos were posted that devastated my life. I lost my job, my children, my residences, my friends, my family, my credit history, and my vehicle. In addition to this, it ruined me. I was lost, broken, and on my knees from pain and fear.
I had to leave my children in another province owing to the constant internet harassment and sheer shame of what was revealed to the world without my consent or knowledge, which forced me to relocate.
It took me three years to assemble evidence that the authorities would even accept to launch cases; prior to that, I had made several unsuccessful efforts to file investigations.
As a consequence, I had to go to great lengths to open my cases. I have been battling this for years, not just for myself but also for the victims (men and women) who are victimised by the internet, which has become a predators' playground where abusers may inflict harm without consequence, especially when you do not have the funds to stop it or to seek justice for the crimes committed.
Cybercrime of this nature has not been successfully prosecuted in South Africa. After being unsuccessful with the authorities, it is important for me to carry on with a private prosecution.
I have found a law firm, Stuart Laubscher Inc, who is prepared to assist me with proceeding with a private prosecution, this will be the one involving cybercrime. This unfortunately does not come free.
To date, my husband and I have spent close to R60,000 to other attorneys and legal entities. There are no more monetary resources which we can continue to give. This is our last chance.
Costs would involve:
A private prosecution necessitates that I retain my own legal counsel.
It entails acquiring a courtroom for at least 5 to 7 days.
It entails sending subpoenas to the relevant agencies in order to obtain the relevant evidence.
My case requires the participation of a magistrate and my legal counsel.
Travel and accommodation Costs for myself, witnesses and my legal counsel.
It is vital that I proceed with a private prosecution in order for me to prevent what happened to me not to happen to other victims, I am pleading with the global community for assistance to continue with this.
I am resolved to do this for not only myself but the greater good, so perpetrators are aware of the possibility of resistance. We cannot sit idly by and let abusers continue harming innocent people and then walk away because the internet conceals their identities.
Please help me make a positive impact on the world. Please help me with setting a precedent for other cases like this and for other victims and survivors to help them fight their cases.
Assist me to assist you ALL, so that we RISE up against our abusers.
United we shall succeed.
With gratitude and many thanks.
- Sep 22, 2023 - R 2 000.00 Fees covered
- "If people knew the full details of this case they would be doing what they can to help. Come guys, let’s unite and get this private prosecution going. If you want change, you need to be the change. DO NOT GIVE UP ZEN! 🍀🌻" - Anonymous
- Jul 11, 2023 - R 2 000.00
- "You have been waiting for justice for many years and hope this works out for you!" - Anonymous
- May 02, 2023 - R 200.00 Fees covered
- "" - Anonymous
- Apr 07, 2023 - USD $ 29.67 Fees covered
- "Zen.. you literally saved my life. If I had more to give you, I certainly would . You are my earth angel and warrior . May you eradicate this monster and bury him for good . Love you 🥰" - Kim
- Apr 06, 2023 - USD $ 27.01 Fees covered
- "I hope you prevail" - Anonymous
- Apr 06, 2023 - USD $ 21.61 Fees covered
- "The lack of consequence for abuse enables and emboldens abusers. Time for that to change." - Anonymous
- Feb 17, 2023 - R 100.00 Fees covered
- "This cyber criminal will be caught one way or another. Set the intention." - Anonymous
- Feb 10, 2023 - R 485.00 Fees covered
- "I stand behind you. Time for online cyberstalking to end in South Africa. Go get this done. " - Anonymous
- Feb 08, 2023 - USD $ 57.05
- "Let justice be served for all" - Derek
- Feb 08, 2023 - USD $ 61.64 Fees covered
- "Hopefully you can close this chapter in your life soon!" - Sharron Ridler
- Feb 06, 2023 - R 1 000.00 Fees covered
- "Keep persevering and we are behind you!!" - Anonymous
- Feb 06, 2023 - R 202.29 Fees covered
- "God is with you" - Antoinette Viljoen
- Feb 05, 2023 - USD $ 14.33 Fees covered
- "Keep going Zen, you've got this x" - Maggie
- Feb 05, 2023 - R 200.00 Fees covered
- "I do hope this will help even though it's not much. May God be with you in all this." - Anonymous
- Feb 04, 2023 - R 200.00 Fees covered
- "May you find strength to endure" - Anonymous
- Feb 04, 2023 - R 500.00 Fees covered
- "Zen you saved my life. I will be forever grateful . " - Kim Rundle
- Feb 03, 2023 - R 200.00
- "You have got this. Keep going and I’m sure this will work. " - Anonymous