Bringing households together. Meaning “2 homes”, we believe that it takes two to make the world a better place. One small action at a time.
COVID-19 brought four Capetonians together with a simple idea. To directly pair up households to support each other during times of crisis (and beyond). We believe that people who have never met can support each other through difficulty. The upshot of this approach is that decentralises support efforts in an impactful and personalised way. See our impact.
By pairing households, we ensure that all South Africans have enough to live on. As writer Damian Barr says, “We are not all in the same boat. We are all in the same storm. Some are on super-yachts. Some have just the one oar.”
How it works
We simply ask one household that has a bit more to support a family falling through the cracks and needing support, as identified via our community partners. They choose how much they're able to share every week – between R100 and R400 - which is sent as electricity vouchers, food vouchers, data vouchers or cash transfer directly to the paired family. It is a weekly commitment for a period of 8 weeks.
With the support from their paired family, vulnerable households are better able to look after themselves, taking pressure off NPOs and feeding schemes.
We know that there are many amazing groups and people putting up their hands to help via feeding schemes, food parcels and other initiatives. A downside is that this often comes at the cost of social distancing and dignity, and with little positive impact on a household’s financial well-being.
Amakhaya Amabini believes in a better way.
Bringing households together:
- Promotes dignity: households can shop for what they need.
- Promotes physical-distancing and avoids crowded central food points.
- It alleviates pressure on feeding schemes whilst supporting the retail economy and smaller local shops
- Is not bound by geography. Money transfers and e-vouchers are easy to do from anywhere. Households around the world have connected in this way.
- Doesn’t rely on complicated food delivery channels to get parcels to those in need.
- Fosters relationships across households, building supportive relationships and connections across economic barriers.
Join our movement. Connect with another family and make a difference.