Breaking Bread Community Development
Breaking Bread Community Development aims to provide assistance to homeless adults, as well as the children, in the Observatory and Salt River areas in Cape Town.
For the past ten-months, we have been providing a meal to the Homeless in Observatory every Friday, as well as assisting the children that reside in the Salt River area. One of our Directors, Sheradia Brown, is involved with the daily aftercare of a group of children that have no place to go during the daytime, and often live with only a grandparent, and have no supervision.
We hope to provide the following as a start:
- Soup Kitchen – serving at least one meal per day five-times a week
- Lockers for the Homeless to keep their possessions in
- Shower and ablution facilities for the Homeless to use
- Soup Sessions Fridays – where the community spend time with the homeless, while having food, dancing and live music, to bring all members of the Observatory community together, to continue to build relationships, and help to promote an inclusive community
- Workshops for the Homeless to gain skills which will assist with finding employment
- Social Workers to assist those in need, and to assess their needs
- Access to medical care through organisations and clinics in the area
- Access to substance abuse programmes
- Work with other related organisations in Observatory and the surrounding suburbs, to create a cohesive network of assistance to the homeless and most vulnerable members of our community