Javascript is not enabled! Please turn on Javascript to use this site.
Christelike - Maatskaplike Raad van Port Elizabeth Logo

Christelike - Maatskaplike Raad van Port Elizabeth

Christian Social services, Port Elizabeth (hereafter referred to as CMR PE), has been providing vital child protection services to families and communities in need, since 1944.

CMR Port Elizabeth is a non-governmental organisation (NGO) that is registered as a Welfare Organisation. We provide social services that on focus on families and communities. Our services aim to enrich family life, to protect the vulnerable in our society and to enable family members to function to the best of their abilities. Various developmental, therapeutic, preventative and statutory services are offered.

Our Core services are Family Preservation and Child Protection,

Family preservation focuses on prevention, our goal is to equipt adults and children with appropriate life skills, which includes the following:

  • Parental guidance (individual sessions and group work programmes)
  • Life skill programmes - bullying, protective behaviour, self esteem
  • Informative frogrammes aimed at the protection of children against sexual and physical abuse and also delibetate neglect

Child protection focuses on protecting and putting children in caring homes which enables them to reach their full potential. These services include:

  • Temporary safe care for children
  • Children's court investigations and placement of children in alternative care
  • Foster care support services 
  • Support services to children in Children's homes
  • Family reunification services aiming to reunite children with their families of origin
  • Adoption services providing permanant safe and happy homes for many children who were either abandoned or given up for adoption.

We serve vulnerable groups, most of our services are free of charge except for adoption services where the Children's Act prescribes a fee.

How does CMR survive financially?

CMR receives subsidy from the Dept. of Social Development which provides 75% of the total operational costs, for the other 25% we rely on funders and donors to fund the shortfall. Our target for 2018 / 2019 is to raise R800 000 to provide in our annual shortfall.