Fossil Free South Africa
Fossil Free South Africa is a voluntary association established on 02 February 2015 calling for investments that support a stable climate and secure future environment for us and our children.
Fossil Free South Africa is supported by an active management team (board), staff, volunteers. We engage progressive investors like universities and foundations, and asset managers, asking them to create climate-friendly investments. By reinvesting out of fossil fuels to accelerate sustainable system change, slow climate change, and reduce the financial risks of fossil fuel investments (your pension is not safe!), we can secure our human rights and common future.
Our past achievements
- With 350 Africa, we helped push the City of Cape Town to become the first African city to commit to divestment from fossil fuels in 2017.
- Our lobbying, with the endorsement of Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, successfully pushed the University of Cape Town to become the first African university with a responsible investment committee in 2018, and we have now twice passed votes at UCT’s Convocation for the university to divest.
- We held successful workshops on divestment for asset managers in 2017 and, in partnership with the UN-supported Principle for Responsible Investment, for retirement funds in 2019.
- Our 2018 Spotlight Campaign started pressuring asset managers to create fossil-free funds.
- We’ve built up a substantial body of expertise and connections on the climate, finance and responsible investment nexus in South Africa.
Connect with us on social media:
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FossilFreeSA/
Instagram Page: @FossilFreeSA https://twitter.com/FossilFreeSA