Gloria Botha School
The Gloria Botha School was founded by a group of parents in 1990 in the Helderberg Basin. It started in the Strand as a satellite school of the Cheré Botha Centre (situated in Bellville), which was founded by Mike and Gloria Botha whose daughter, Cheré was born with Down syndrome and tragically died at an early age. The Cheré Botha Centre developed as the mother-school of a few schools in the Boland and other areas. After our school became supported by the Government, the name changed to GLORIA BOTHA SCHOOL (NPO 033-432).
All persons with intellectual disabilities are unique. They experience the same emotions as others. As with all children, given the correct teaching, love and support, intellectually disadvantaged children can develop into self-sufficient individuals under various degrees of supervision. The educators and support-staff at Gloria Botha School help to develop each child’s potential to the best of their ability and assist them to become happy, productive citizens in their community. The educators and support-staff at Gloria Botha School strive to accomplish this goal.
The aims and objectives:
- to provide and promote any necessary services for the care of persons who are mentally handicapped and developmentally delayed and in support of their families, guardians and caregivers, regardless of race, colour or creed;
- to strive for co-operation and co-ordination between any person, organization or institution operating in the field of interest or service delivery;
- to co-operate with government authorities (Local, provincial or central) on matters of policy
- to stimulate public interest
- to generate and obtain funds to achieve the objectives as specified
The children take part in many activities at the school and in the surrounding community. The school has 46 learners at present (2019) with 4 classes, the age-range is from 5yrs until 18yrs. Each class has a qualified educator and an assistant. The classes are kept small to cater for all the children's needs and in this way the educators are able to give each child more individual attention, which assists in developing them as far as possible.