Peanut Animal Welfare Melkbosstrand
Peanut Animal Welfare is an animal welfare organisation, Melkbosstrand based, NPO registered and serve the community in and around Melkbos (up to 12,000 people within just the village). We also work outside our own area of Melkbos and in partnership with other local NPOs - we are frequently called in to help with cases of abandoned or abused animals in our neighbouring areas of Parklands, Sunningdale and Blouberg. We also provide outreach support to the disadvantaged local communities and informal settlements such as in Olive Close, Wolverivier and the farming areas.
We work within the network of the Cape Animal Welfare Forum organisations and have close relationships with other animal welfare groups within the Tableview and wider Cape Town area.
Our main areas of work are:
- Emergency call-outs for lost, abandoned, abused, neglected animals (including dogs, cats, rabbits, rodents, birds and other small domestic or farm animals)
- The fostering and/or re-homing of animals (which includes extensive foster home support, medical support, check-ups on all animals, screening of new homes and adoption procedures)
- Coordination assistance (through in person, online and telephone forums) with lost & found animals
- Sterilisation programmes for domestic, stray and feral animals
- Education programmes with schools and local communities
- Food drives and outreach support for local communities
- Working with Law Enforcement to address animal abuse or neglect
- Fundraising for medical care for any primary animal health services - including assistance to the poor with the transport of ill or injured animal
- Scheduled dipping and deworming programmes and feeding schemes
- Advocating microchipping of animals
- Assisting the elderly in Melkbosstrand through home visits and monitoring of their animal’s welfare