On 30 November 2021, following the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday & Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season when many individuals focus on their holiday & end-of-year giving.
Harnessing the power of social media & collaboration, #GivingTuesdaySA encourages individuals and non-profits alike to reach out to their communities, with the aim of creating meaningful social change and spreading goodwill.
In 2020, The Giving Tuesday movement raised over $2.47 billion globally in 24 hours and expanded 70 countries worldwide.
Join BackaBuddy in celebrating #GivingTuesdaySA
This is how you can get involved:
- Donate to a cause you’re passionate about by visiting BackaBuddy.co.za.
- Crowdfunding campaigns are 350% more likely to be successful if shared on social media, visit BackaBuddy on Facebook and help create awareness for a campaign that inspires you! Don’t forget to hashtag #GivingTuesdaySA.
- If you’re a non-profit or community organisation, register on BackaBuddy to raise funds for various needs you might have on #GivingTuesday!
- Individuals are also encouraged to create a crowdfunding campaign to support their favourite charity on #GivingTuesdaySA. Set your fundraising target, share your personal story and introduce your cause to your networks!
For more information about BackaBuddy, email [email protected]
What else can you do to give back on #GivingTuesday
- Volunteer your skills to support a local charitable organisation.
- Donate old clothes to children’s home or homeless shelter.
- Donate books or magazines to your local library.
- Share your giving story on Facebook group, #IMSTAYING
- Support or start a petition on change.org.
- Join The #MoveOneMillion movement to bring about positive change in South Africa.
- Visit your local SPCA and adopt a pet that needs a loving home.
- Support the South African National Blood Service by donating blood at a centre near you.
- Register to become an organ donor with the Organ Donor Foundation.
- Register to become a bone marrow donor with the South African Bone Marrow Registry.
- Learn First Aid.
- Pick up groceries or medicine for an elderly person who is unable to go to the shops.
- Tutor someone who needs help learning your mother tongue.
- Clean up your neighbourhood or city park by picking up rubbish and removing graffiti.
- Set up a recycling system in your home.
- Plant a tree in your local park.
- Let your friends know about GivingTuesday
Whether you dedicate #GivingTuesday to helping a neighbour or stranger out, volunteer your time or donate funds to a good cause, every act of generosity counts!
Children can also join the youth-led social change activation movement #GivingTuesdayKids and log their act of service.
Follow Giving Tuesday on social media: @GivingTuesdaySA
Zane Groenewald & Monique Weich (BackaBuddy) with Laura Parker (#GivingTuesdaySA)
Create a crowdfunding campaign
South Africa’s leading crowdfunding platform, BackaBuddy has supported more than 10 000+ individuals and charities in setting up fundraising campaigns for medical fees, tuition and various causes in South Africa. The platform has thus far risen over R270 Million.