Every year on International Mandela Day (18th of July), we celebrate not only the birth of Tata Madiba but his 67-year commitment to social justice and servant leadership.
On this day, we celebrate our rainbow nation and respond to a global call to action to harness our collective power to shape the world around us in a positive way.
What can I do on Mandela Day?
The good news is that after more than two years of mask-wearing and isolated event conditions, South Africa has slightly lifted the Covid-19 regulations effectively moving towards a sense of normality. However, with the Covid-19 regulations still in place, there will be fewer events and available volunteering opportunities for individuals hoping to lend their support in person.
There are still however many opportunities to make a positive difference by pledging your 67 minutes.
Raise funds to support your local community
Set up a campaign on South Africa’s largest crowdfunding platform, BackaBuddy to raise funds and assist a person or community in need. Click here to register your cause.
Here are some ideas of things you can fundraise for on Mandela Day.
- Raise funds to purchase digital food vouchers for families affected by the lockdown.
- Raise funds to help restaurant staff support their families.
- Raise funds to make ‘care kits’ (including a comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, face cloth, etc.) for patients at a nearby government hospital.
- Raise funds to feed and clothe the homeless.
- Raise funds to keep the light on for a non-profit organisation.
- Raise funds to help non-governmental schools pay their teachers salaries.
- Raise funds to purchase children’s books for an under-resourced school.
Raise funds to support a charity on BackaBuddy
On BackaBuddy, members of the public are invited to raise funds for various charities across South Africa by setting up their own fundraising campaigns.
Whether you are passionate about the Sandton SPCA, The Amy Foundation, Siyabonga Care Village, or The Cradle of Hope, there are countless charities on BackaBuddy in need of support.
Click here to raise funds for a charity on BackaBuddy.
If you’re a charity, register your organization on BackaBuddy to raise funds.
Donate to a charity or cause you’re passionate about
Looking for a crowdfunding cause to donate to on Mandela day? Visit our Featured Campaigns article for a few campaigns that have been highlighted on the Backabuddy Impact Village as well as in media publications across South Africa this week.
Volunteer your time
- Visit BackaBuddy’s Facebook page, and share a crowdfunding campaign that inspires you and encourage your family and friends to make a donation.
- Support the South African National Blood Service by donating blood at a centre near you.
- Register to become an organ donor with the Organ Donor Foundation.
- Register to become a bone marrow donor with the South African Bone Marrow Registry.
- Support or start a petition on change.org.
- Learn First Aid.
- Volunteer your skills at a charitable organisation.
- Share a positive South African story on Facebook group #IMSTAYING
- Donate old clothes to children’s home or homeless shelter.
- Donate books or magazines to your local library.
- Visit your local SPCA and adopt a pet that needs a loving home.
- Pick up groceries or medicine for an elderly person who is unable to go to the shops.
- Tutor someone who needs help learning your mother tongue.
- Clean up your neighbourhood or city park by picking up rubbish and removing graffiti.
- Set up a recycling system in your home.
- Plant a tree in your local park.
However you decide to celebrate your 67 minutes on Mandela Day, make an effort to inspire and care for your fellow South Africans. Together we can make a world of difference. It takes a village.
Create a crowdfunding campaign
South Africa’s leading crowdfunding platform, BackaBuddy has supported more than 10 000+ individuals and charities in setting up fundraising campaigns for medical fees, tuition and various causes in South Africa. The platform has thus far raised over R260 Million.
- Raise funds for an individual or cause.
- Register your non-profit organisation.
- Create a crowdfunding campaign to raise funds for a non-profit organisation.