With the number of Facebook users in South Africa to reach over 19.8 million by 2023, according to Statista, there is ample opportunity for your crowdfunding campaign to reach a wide network of supporters on the social network.
In this guide, we will discuss the power of Facebook Marketing and walk you through some practical tips that you can use to promote your cause.
Why use Facebook to promote your crowdfunding campaign?
According to Hoodsuite.
- 82% of internet users in South Africans are active users of Facebook and 57% also use Facebook Messenger
- Recent statistics have revealed that Facebook users spend an average of about 40 minutes daily on Facebook.
How to post on Facebook
To share a post on Facebook:
- From the top of your News Feed, click What’s on your mind, [Name]?
- Write a short message to introduce your crowdfunding campaign (following the guidelines below) and remember to include your BackaBuddy Link.
- For your post:
- Click Post.
Once you have created your post. Share it your Facebook Story
- On the post you have just created, Click Share
- Select Share to Your Story Now.
When to post on Facebook
When it comes to posting on Facebook, research shows Thursday and Friday to be the best days. Here’s what we found:
- According to World Wide Worx, the best time to post on Facebook in South Africa to maximise the number of people who see it, is on a Thursday between 09:00 and 10:00.
- Hubspot determined Thursdays and Fridays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. are the best times to post.
Please note: You can post your campaign on any day, see what works the best for you! We recommend sharing your campaign at least 2/3 times a week across your social media platforms for the best possible result.
Writing your campaign post
The purpose of posting your campaign on Facebook is to reach as many people on your friends list as possible, as well as other Facebook users who might not know you.
Before posting on Facebook, consider these key factors:
1. Keep your message short and specific
According Express Writers, Facebook posts with 40-80 Characters result in 86% more interaction (likes, comments, shares, link clicks).
2. Provide enough information
Make sure your post answers these questions:
- Who are you raising funds for? (name, age, location)
- Why are they in need of funds? (what has lead you to crowdfunding?)
- What will funds raised be used for? (in a tangible way mention how funds will be used, for example “We are raising funds to purchase 100 pairs of shoes for 50 children”
- When will funds be needed? (ie. is there a sense of urgency or is your campaign time-sensitive?)
- Where can people make a donation? (Include the call to action: Please support my crowdfunding campaign on BackaBuddy, by making a donation here: [copy and paste BackaBuddy Link)]
Take a look at these examples:
You can use this template as a guideline:
I have created a crowdfunding campaign on BackaBuddy to raise funds [to/for].
We are hoping to raise [fundraising target] by [time period] that will allow us to [positive impact].
Please be so kind as to support our crowdfunding campaign by making a donation here: [BackaBuddy link]
If you are unable to donate, please share our campaign with your friends and family.
3. Include a photo or video
Instead of posting your BackaBuddy link by itself, upload your message with a positive, yet emotive photo or video.
According to Post Planner, posts with photos receive 84% more link clicks, this means more Facebook users will click onto your BackaBuddy campaign if you have great visual content.
Where possible include hi-quality images that tell a positive story, avoid shocking or graphic content, as this might discourage Facebook users engaging with your content. You can load a single image, or add a series of images that tell your story.
It is in your best interest to share your post with a short, informative and emotive video that’s between 1-3 minutes long. While a strong image will make your followers take notice, a video will increase your engagement by 7 times and your campaign has an opportunity to raise 4 times more funds.
Need help putting together a campaign video? Read Our Guide.
Make use of these Facebook tools to promote your crowdfunding campaign
Posting a status update about your campaign will help you reach friends and friends of friends on Facebook, but when engaging with close friends and family on Facebook, it is always better to send a short/personal message directly via Facebook Messenger.
According to RadiumOne, 84% of online sharing now takes place through instant messaging apps such as WhatsApp, Facebook messenger and WeChat, this is because messages are both opened and read, typically within the first 3 seconds.
To send a direct message on Facebook on a computer:
- Click in the top right of the screen.
- Click to start a new message.
- Start typing a name into the To field. Names of friends will appear in a dropdown.
- Select the person or people you want to message.
- Type your message, then press enter or to send.
You can also click Message at the top of someone’s profile to message them.
Facebook stories are a great way to create awareness about your campaign, share updates and ensure your campaign maintains momentum.
Stories are typically about 20 seconds long and stay on your profile for only 24 hours, but it is an effective way to encourage Facebook users to engage with your cause and send you direct messages.
To share a story on Facebook:
- Click + Add to Story at the top of your News Feed..
- Click Photo/Video to add a photo or video from your computer.
- Next to Your Story, you can click the audience selector (example: Public or Friends) to choose who can see your story.
- Click Post.
Once you have managed to interact with your close networks via posting status updates, posting stories and sending direct messages via Facebook messenger, it is time to have a look at Facebook groups in your area that are relevant to your cause.
Joining groups with a higher following, will help you reach a wider audience of potential supporters.
By seeing your posts, users will be able to share your campaign, donate via your BackaBuddy link, interact with you via the comments section or directly via Facebook messenger..
Take a look at these groups, for ideas of ones you could join to promote your campaign.
To join a Facebook group:
- From your News Feed click Groups in the left menu.
- In the search bar at the top, enter some keywords for the group you’re looking for.
- Select the group then click + Join Group below the cover photo.
- Select whether you’d like to join as your profile or your Page and click Join Group
To post to a group:
- From your News Feed click Groups in the left menu and select your group.
- Click What’s on your mind, [Name]?
From here you can:
- Write a post.
- Add a photo or video.
- Add a GIF.
- Tag people.
- Check in.
Facebook Watch Party
This new feature from Facebook is quickly gaining popularity. Now instead of simply sharing a video on Facebook, you can invite friends to watch videos with you in real-time.
This is a great opportunity to engage with potential donors as you are able to comment and interact with your audience.
Don’t forget to include your BackaBuddy campaign link in the comments section for anyone who would like to support your cause.
Watch the video below, to learn how to start a Watch Party on Facebook!
According to Vimeo, 78% of online audiences watched a live video on Facebook in 2018.
Live videos are great for sharing quick updates, conducting short interviews or answering questions your audience might have relating to your campaign. Facebook recommends that live videos should be at least 10 minutes long.
Your followers will be notified when you’re broadcasting live on Facebook, so it is a great way to create awareness around your crowdfunding campaign.
Remember to include your BackaBuddy campaign link in the description as your video will still be available to watch after the live stream has ended.
To go live on Facebook:
- Click What’s on your mind, [Name]? at the top of your News Feed.
- Click then click Live Video.
- Write a short description of your campaign and include your BackaBuddy link for donations.
- Click Go Live in the bottom left.
We hope you enjoyed our tips for Facebook Marketing! While Facebook is a great tool to use to reach a wider audience, it should not be used in isolation.